CHAPTER EIGHT

The tingling returned—that feeling of something pulsing along her skin. Insistent. Excruciating. Threatening to tear apart her mind. Somehow, she could hear the music. Had the drums started again? Or had they never stopped? No time to analyze the moment as it washed over her in dizzying waves. The steady beat became her pulse. She was free and expanding and infinite and all else a distant memory. Only her—dancing and laughing and innocent. Around and around she twirled, her skirt flaring as she danced in the firelight.

Then it grew to become more than a fire and more than a sacred grove. A world. No, her world, and dancing was all she had to be to bring it into being. New and bright and untouched. A fresh, unspoiled creation and it was all hers. The tingling became crackling became sparks of red light like threads flowing from her fingertips. Flowers of pink and blue and mauve fell from the sky for her delight. It felt so perfect because it belonged to her and she belonged to no one.

And then, she was no longer alone.

He came from nowhere, sliding in on the edges of her delirium without her realizing until he trapped her in her own creation.

He wanted something. No matter. She danced away in the patterns of light and thread she formed. This could still be hers. No one could interfere in that.

But he remained and though she might try, she could not escape. He encompassed everything. She thought she saw a glimpse of him from the corner of her eye, near the flame, but...No. He stood on the other side. No, all around, reaching out.

She dodged quickly. Panic overwhelmed. What did he want?

He had become the hunter and she the prey. He stalked with patience, wanting her. She knew that now. It was as obvious as the sun in the sky and the fish in the sea. He wanted her.

She tried to outrun him. The world was enormous and as yet undiscovered. She could go anywhere, be anything. She could still be free. But no. He was persistent. The mountains were not high enough; the oceans too shallow; the stars too near. The world was laid to waste as he stalked her. Would he never give up or would he rather destroy everything until he had her?

"Leave!" she cried. Unexpected tears rose as she sank to her knees and tried to ward him off with her hands.

His voice came very deep and very powerful when he spoke, as she knew it would be. "I only wanted you to come to me."

"For what price?"

She felt him draw closer. "There is none."

"Then you are lying because there is always a price."

"Only that you are my Sahen'chi. You are the keeper of my heart."

Did he really expect her to believe such impossible lies?

He took her face in his hands when she looked up. The pulse thrummed stronger now and it beat too fast, leaving her breathless. Was this a surrender? Was she no longer free? Perhaps. But she understood—unexpectedly—that they could be so much more together than each would be alone. And as Kydel pulled her to her feet and into his arms, they folded around her until no room remained in her world for anything or anyone but him.

"Oh my love," he whispered.

And unbelievably, his lips were on hers. Her arms slipped around him, bringing him close. The moon shone its radiance and flames burnt the night sky. Or was that the flame between them? She could no longer tell the difference.