CHAPTER TEN

They entered the well-cared-for stable. Jill found the smell of horses and manure solidly comforting. Apparently, like oats, horseshit was the same everywhere too. Sunlight peeked through gaps in the wooden slats, casting streaks of light throughout the barn. Casir, Vashe, and Perren already waited at a stall near the end. Casir looked exhausted, but Vashe beamed. Perren eyed Jill warily. She met his gaze, challenging him. Did he share the same opinion as Della—that she'd stolen the Awakening? He certainly hadn't wanted her to have it last night.

Perren looked away first.

"What did I tell you, Casir?" Vashe murmured to her husband, gently nudging him.

"Right as usual, my love. You always are about these things." He smiled at Vashe.

Jill felt her cheeks grow hot and only Brexten's frown acknowledged he'd heard. "There's been a change in plans. Jill has decided to accompany me after all. I hate to impose Casir, but we may need a few more supplies."

"It's been taken care of. Vashe had a feeling and I know better than to ignore her. If I didn't know better, I'd swear she was Shey'na'cala."

Jill frowned. "What's—"

"Empaths and mind-readers. Magic of mind," Brexten answered before she could even finish the sentence. "They're renowned throughout the world for their mind healing skills."

"How did you know I was going to ask that?"

"Forgive me. What were you going to ask?"

Jill sniffed and looked away. "Nothing. I forget now."

She heard laughter in his voice. "Of course you do."

"One should never challenge a lady," Vashe admonished Brexten.

"I'll be sure to remember that in the future."

"Perren, get the other horse," Casir said, pushing his son off to another stall. "Extra food and supplies are already packed. There's enough to see you to Ferice, and Shaar if need be."

Vashe pulled Jill aside. "Don't worry about a thing. After you went to bed, we pulled together whatever you would need to travel. Your own clothing didn't look to offer much protection, but it's been cleaned and packed along with the rest."

"But...I never asked...Thank you."

"You're welcome, my dear. Besides, you were never meant to stay in Pydia. Oh Jill, you're in for such an adventure. I almost envy you." Vashe hugged her, leaving Jill with no choice but to return it. She held the older woman stiffly, embarrassed at her own awkwardness. Hugging was not something she had a good deal of practice at.

"As we discussed, my lord Prince," Casir was saying, "you should head for the contact in Ferice. When Strephon took over the town, we lost touch with the rest of the country. It's been five months since our last communication, so pray to the gods our man is still there. If not, head to Shaar. The Duchess Geniece maintains an intricate web of contacts and resources. She'll be your best option if Ferice doesn't work out."

"I always knew that woman was devious. Gods, it will be good to see her again."

"Just remember what I told you about the ge'tan."

Brexten nodded, looking as if he'd been lectured one to many times. "The sorcerers' memory altering spell. Yes, I know. Whenever people under its influence recognize me, they'll think I'm an enemy of the state. I defected to West Cendan. I went to raise an army and return home to start a war. I enjoy the company of sheep and brutally deflower virgins in every town."