CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"Good, you're awake. My lady requests that you present yourself downstairs—now."

Jill turned away from the window overlooking Shaar, a piece of toast midway to her mouth as Clarine barge into the room.

I've really got to remember to lock that door, Jill reflected before Clarine crossed the room and deftly removed the tray of half-eaten toast, sliced apples, and cheese from her lap. She even plucked the toast from Jill's hand.

"Hey, I'm still eating that!"

"There's no time," Clarine stated, disappearing inside the closet. She emerged a second later holding a cheery canary-yellow gown.

Jill gulped the last of her tea with hurried swallows, afraid Clarine would snatch the mug away too. "What's going on?"

"The Duke of Shaar is here."

The Duke of Shaar? Jill took another look out the window, casting a glance down on the rain-splattered streets and people dodging between the drops. She'd been staring outside all morning, considering last night's debacle, and generally feeling sorry for herself. Everyone was scattered and she was alone except for Perren, without a clue of what was happening. The smart thing really would have been to go to the safe house, despite Brexten's being there. If he's even back from the brothel yet. But none of her thoughts had run to the Duke.

"Come, my lady. I need to get you dressed. The Duke isn't known for his patience and I have no desire to be the one who keeps him waiting."

Jill ran a tired hand over her eyes, trying to pull her thoughts together. After her sleep, she felt better now than she had last night, but still not great. "He's one of the sorcerers, right?"

"Yes and my lady Geniece wants you to meet him. Now, we must hurry."

"I'm sorry...What? Meet him? I thought Geniece said he wouldn't be back, that he had dozens of other women in the city to bed down with. What's he doing here?"

"Apparently his plans changed," Clarine offered, her tone distracted as she laid the dress on the bed, and smoothing away creases in the material.

"No! This is a bad idea! What happens if I blurt out that Brexten's on the loose, or the Maze is destroyed? I could ruin everyone's plans!"

"Then be careful to school your words and your thoughts around the Duke."

Jill's eyebrows shot up. "My thoughts? He reads minds?"

Clarine looked at her oddly as if the sorcerer's mind-reading skills should be well known. God, it probably was. "More along the lines of hearing thoughts, and not very well. Just enough to keep my lady on her toes. Don't think about the Prince and you'll be fine."

Don't think about Brexten? She'd deliberately cut him out of her life. How hard could it be not to think about him? No problem. I'm in so much trouble.

"Besides," Clarine was saying, "my lady's plans could hardly be toppled by your meeting with the Duke. I very much doubt you hold that kind of sway."

Jill wanted to laugh at that, but didn't. It was hardly Clarine's fault she didn't know the gods had plucked Jill out of her world and tossed her into a steaming pile of disaster. She suspected she had the ability to ruin anyone's plans without even half-trying. And now that Arianie had revealed herself, Jill felt more vulnerable than ever. A remnant of the goddess was lodged inside her. No wonder Casir had thought the Awakening was unusual and unfinished. And Brexten felt that it gave him some sort of control of her. Not bloody likely.