CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

The knock on Jill's door sounded like the pounding hooves of spooked horses. She tried ignoring it as she had the previous time but its persistence wore at her. Why didn't they leave her alone? It wasn't as if they could miraculously make the disaster with Nikolos go away.

Sitting on the window seat, she'd spent the remainder of the day—in between naps and reading a book Clarine foisted on her regarding court protocol—looking out the window at the rain and contemplating what a bad decision coming to Shaar had been. If Shaar was the jewel of Dolmar, it fell far short of her expectations.

The sound of a key turning in the lock had Jill bolting from her seat, glaring at the intruder. A second later, the door swung open and Geniece entered, carrying a tray of food.

"It's not polite to make a pregnant woman wait in the hall," Geniece said as she set the tray down on a bedside table. She pressed her fists into the small of her back as she stretched and tried to get comfortable.

"The door was locked for a reason. If I wanted to see anyone, I would have opened it."

"It's my house and I decided you couldn't hide here for the rest of your life."

"It's Nikolos's house."

"So I'm constantly being reminded. I wanted to chat with you."

Oh, I bet this is going to be good. Jill reclined on the window seat, tucking her feet up under her and pulling her dressing gown closed. She spared a glance out the window. The clouds were breaking up and sun was setting, turning the sky a fabulous shade of crimson. It wouldn't be long before Nikolos arrived. "Time for a few last-minute pointers?"

Geniece ignored the comment. Instead, she came to stand over her, looking out at the city. "It's a lovely sunset. At least he doesn't have the ability to ruin that."

Jill shivered. "How can you live like this? How can you carry his child and let him treat you like dirt? He'd grind you into the floor if he wanted to."

"As he did with you," Geniece said gently.

"Hardly. I left because I assumed he was done with me. He'd seen me and asked me to the theater. What more did he want?" And nearly killed Perren, but what does that matter?

Jill tugged the robe more tightly to her and huddled into the pillows on the window seat. The sun ducked behind the line of Shaar's towers. It made them glitter like diamonds. She felt rather than saw Geniece sit.

"Yes of course," Geniece said smoothly, her tone belying nothing. "Only next time, let him dismiss you. Even if you must stand covered with gore and soaked in blood, don't leave until he allows it. If you stand firm, he will bend. If you cower, he will tear you apart."

Jill blinked. What had Nikolos forced Geniece to endure? Better not to ask; she wasn't sure she wanted to know. "It would have been nice to know he can hear thoughts ahead of time."

Geniece's gaze narrowed. "He couldn't tap yours, so your complaint is hardly relevant. Besides, it's something all of us know. I never thought you would need to be told."

"Apparently, there are a lot of things I need to be told."

"If it's any consolation, it's not a skill he excels at. He skims the surface and thinks that's all there is to know of a person's thoughts. He's a fool, but he's still dangerous and I never let myself forget that. I've worked hard to keep things from him."