Before The Fall

Before whose fall?  Lol. XD

*****

     Anakin was invited to a meeting with Palpatine sooner than he had anticipated, and it was not in the way he would have thought.

     On the day he and Obi-Wan returned to the Temple, they were both told to meet with the Council. Even Obi-Wan was unaware of the situation when they arrived to see the other Jedi Masters waiting.

     After a few moments of unrelated and nerve-racking conversation, Anakin was finally informed of the reason for his attendance.

     "It seems as though your friend, Palpatine, has great plans for you, young Skywalker," Master Windu stated, causing Anakin to purse his lips.

     "It seems as though he wishes for you to be given a position here on the Council."

     Anakin frowned openly this time, having never heard of such a thing before. "How can he request something like this? I thought only the Council itself can elect new members."

     A few of the masters around him shared glances.

     However, Master Windu continued.

     "We believe he wants to use you to gain more insight on our whereabouts. We can appoint you to a position on the Council, but we will not grant you the rank of master at this time."

     Anakin blinked, considering all of this, and he could feel Obi-Wan's eyes on him.

     "Why?" he asked finally. "It seems obvious that this is not... well, this doesn't feel right. Why would you do as he asks if he is overstepping his boundaries?"

     Master Windu shared a look with Master Yoda before breathing deeply and refocusing on Anakin.

      Instead of speaking aloud this time, Master Windu used the Force to reach out to him, which felt strange and unusual, given that they should have been able to speak freely in the Council room, right?

     The connection that formed between Anakin and Mace was not as strong as the connection between, say, Obi-Wan and Anakin, and so, Anakin received Mace's message in flashes--images.

     Anakin saw glimpses of ideas for a brief period until the picture was clear: he was to spy on Palpatine for the Council, and this was to be off the record.

     Anakin considered this as well for a minute. 

     Maybe this would be good? To help prove that Palpatine was in the wrong?

     However, other thoughts soon began to fill his mind: memories of being used, of being manipulated, of being lied to.

     He sighed aloud, looking around at the masters until his eyes landed on the empty chair that awaited him. 

     For so long, that was what he wanted: to be recognized as a great Jedi who was worthy of honor and respect.

     Now, as he gazed at the seat, he realized that while it may appear empty, it was actually piled up with significant responsibility and yes, even power... but it was power that he wasn't ready for... yet. It was power that he wasn't sure he even wanted anymore.

     At last, his gaze came to a rest on Master Windu.

     "I am sorry, Masters, but I do not believe I am ready for such an appointment, nor do I feel right for accepting such a position. 

     "I do not accept," he finished, his voice low.

     Mace's gaze actually widened, and under different circumstances, Anakin would have chuckled at the thought of surprising the normally stoic master. Yet, in that instance, he didn't even stay to see the outcome of his words.