Chapter 8

//Zak' POV\\

I looked into the building through the gym doors. They seemed so little every day at school, but now they seemed as big as the gate to a castle filled with monsters. My hand quivered as I pushed the door open and courteously let Darryl inside. I put on a smile and tried to act as confident as I could. 

As I stepped foot in the gym I was so used to, my eyes carried themselves over the mediocre decorations that transformed the room into a dance floor. I looked over at Darryl who seemed silently taken aback. 

"Should we go sit at a table?" I quietly asked, looking at my feet 

"Uh yeah" he said, still gazing up at the ceiling covered with streamers

I grabbed his hand and we walked off and sat down at a table. We watched as people danced. As my eyes drifted across the room, I saw my friends. Jack was dancing with one of the popular girls named Layla. She was fairly pretty, and a decent person. Anybody in their right minds would be dying to dance with her. But Jack wasn't enjoying himself at all. He was looking at another girl. Ava. Ava was dancing with Adan, but Adan was eyeing a teacher, and Ava was looking at me. 

As soon as the song ended, Ava broke apart from Adan. She walked straight towards me.

"Hey lover boy what the fuck you doin in a dress?" She said, plastering a fake smile across her face

Darryl looked at me, surprised, confused, and slightly angry.

"Where's your suit? Were we supposed to do like a separate gender thing? I have to say you look really gay in that. And who's your friend? Isn't that the guy you hate? Darly or something..."

"This is Darryl and I'm not your-" I was cut off as she grabbed my arm and pulled me upward

She pulled me to the dance floor as a slow dance began to play.

"Let go of me kid" I said, trying to yank my arm away

"Shhhh" she said, putting my arms on her waist

"Ok I'll play your games for a dance. Then I'm off back to Darryl."

"Layla come take a picture and post it on my insta!" Yelled Ava, tossing Layla her phone 

Layla took a picture and posted it.

Layla turned back to dance with Jack. Ava danced with me and got excruciatingly close to me, trying desperately for a kiss.

Then she dragged me out to the booth to stand in line for our picture. I saw Darryl sitting at our table. He looked hurt. He blankly stared at the crowd of dancing students, then back to me, then the students, then me. Right as the line ended and Ava dragged me into the booth, Darryl got up and ran to the bathroom. I couldn't go after him until after the photo. 

As soon as we finished posing, I ran after him. I saw his dress under one of the stall doors. I knocked on it, and heard a faint "go away"

"Unlock this door or I'll unlock it myself"

"Go AWAY" he said again, this time louder and firmer

"Open this door right now"

"Zak?" I heard a female voice

I turned around and sure enough I saw Ava standing right there

"Zakky they're about to announce prom king and queen! Cmon!"

She pulled on my arm and I tried to resist, but she was really strong. 

"Darryl I'm so so sorry" I said as she pulled me through the doorway

"And the prom King and Queen ARE!!" Said the principal, on a makeshift stage 

He was handed a card, he read it, muttered a few comedic words, and then said

"AVA HENDERSON AND ZAK AHMED"

The dancers clapped and wooed, and Ava walked up to the stage to receive her crown.

I followed her, highly annoyed. 

We reached the stage, and as I was being crowned, I saw Darryl grab Ava's hand. He dragged her off the stairs, and walked up himself. 

"Excuse me young man but you haven't been crowned. Ava was crowned. Ava is Zak's date." Said the principal

"No, I am Zak's date. Ava stole him away from me!" Darryl said

"Zak, what do you have to say about this?" Said the principal, putting the microphone to my mouth

I looked out across the crowd. I saw my friends snickering and laughing. I saw people who I knew would hate me if they knew I was gay. I felt a wave of fear shoot through me. My veins filled with that fear and my stomach dropped. But... it was Darryl. I already hurt him so much, I didn't wanna do it again. I came to prom in a prom dress. I came here to come out. So... here was my big chance.

"It's true" I said, grabbing Darryl's hand.

I took the crown that was meant for Ava and I set it on his head. It was just a paper crown from party city, but it looked amazing on him. 

The crowd began to cheer as I took his hand and we walked down the stairs. I saw Ava storm off angrily towards the doors.

I took Darryl to the dance floor and we danced our hearts out. 

The night flew by fast as a hare. 

Finally the music had stopped, everyone had left, and I got into the limo and we drove off back to my house. 

//Darryl's POV\\

I took Zak's hand and led him up to the roof of the house. 

I stood up and breathed in the cold sweet air.

We sat down and looked at the moon. The stars that filled the dark navy sky. The few clouds that were dusted about. The birds that flew overhead. It was all perfect.

"Shooting star" I said, pointing at the sky

"What'd you wish for?" Asked Zak

"Nothing... I got everything I could ever want sitting right next to me" I said with a smile

"I wished for one last thing"

"What's that?"

"If I tell you, it won't come true!" He said

"Well I'd still love to know"

"I can show you" he said, gently touching my lip with his thumb

He leaned into me and I could feel his warm breath as he brought me into a long kiss.

For a moment, time felt as though it had stopped. His arms found their way around my waist, and my hands found their way into his black hair, silver under the light of the moon. He slowly pushed me down so that I was laying down, he laid down next to me. Our lips broke apart for only a second as we caught our breaths. I smiled, looking up at his eyes, as he looked into mine.

"Have I told you that you have beautiful eyes, Darryl Noveschosch?"

He kissed me again and I let out a soft moan, melting into the kiss. We lay under the stars for quite some time. Prom dresses laying delicate and perfect, makeup slightly smudged, high heels scattered across the rooftop, hand in hand. 

"I got my wish"

(This is the end of the story. I've filled out the plot line. However, I might continue writing s few chapters here and there, and if I can come up with a second plot line, I'll write that too. I got really busy, so I didn't update for a while and I'm sorry. I go to a really hard school and have ADHD so I got really behind and couldn't drag myself onto wattpad. I wasn't on for maybe a week or two, and then I got on last night and saw that this had 400 views?!?! What the heck?! I mean thanks?! But people actually enjoy this? If you have any ideas or requests I'll try to write them!! 🖤❤️🤍💙)