Chapter 29

The next day started off as bad as the last ended. The fact that not only the letter of the young engineer was still gone. But also his sleep was minimal to say the least, thanks to all the worrying things he had heard yesterday. And for some reason the mess hall for the humans on naval base stuff was closed. Due to the fact that it was a sunday, all businesses in the city were closed as well and the young engineer walked through a slight blizzard towards the Saloon of the shipgirls in the hope of at least getting something warm to drink there.

Entering the Saloon, it was completely deserted. He was not surprised by it, most of the Shipgirls only started to show themselves after 8 in the morning. Around 6 am no one would expect to see any of them. But there were also no Bulins there either. Seeing that here was also no food nor warm drinks to be had, he walked out again. He eventually made his way into the main administrative Building. Reaching the high wooden counter in the entrance hall. Today there was not the man he had met during his arrival there. Instead a young woman sat behind the counter. "Good morning comrade." He greeted her. " Could you please tell me where I could get a warm tea and maybe something to eat here today? The mess hall is closed apparently." He finished. The young woman looked up from her papers and stared at him for a moment. Answering him, she said in a rather tired tone: "I am sorry comrade but there is no food for today, since all cooks have been sent to other places. All on base personnel have been told to get their food from the city until new kitchen staff is transferred. Concerning your need for warm things to drink, I would advise you to boil some water and make tea." Not paying any more attention to him she focused back on her papers. Shrugging his shoulders the young engineer turned around and walked back out into the heavy wind and snow.

He entered the docks again and filled his canteen with some tap water and set it on top of his stove. He looked around and found in his belongings a little package with tea bags. Getting one of them out he prepared the boiling water and made himself a bottle full of tea. Walking out of his little home he waited to see which of the dockspace leaders would show up today.

He did not have to wait long to see some of them.

Pjotr, Sasha and Artjom came into the dock shortly followed by their Builin teams after them. Seeing their hardened expressions and lack or relaxed chat, he knew something was off. When he walked over to them they were already instructing their teams and preparing the rigging of the destroyers, some of the cruisers and that of Sovetsky Soyuz.

"Good morning. What is going on?" The young engineer asked Sasha Gussew, who was surveilling the preparations of the rigging belonging to Sovetsky Soyuz. Looking at the young engineer with searching eyes he answered in short phrases: "We are getting the fleet ready. The Sakura Empire attacked our naval Base in the far east. We will prepare them for the voyage and then travel there ourselves." The young engineer was not able to get more out of Sasha who was again busy instructing the Bulins. Turning around he could see Pjotry and Artjom busy doing the same. The sight of the Shipgirls entering the dock, made it clear to him that this situation was real.

Sovetsky Soyuz walked towards her dockspace, in which the young engineer was as well. She stopped in front of him waiting for her rigging to be ready. "Good morning comrade." She greeted him. "I guess you already know what is happening. I would advise you to get out of our way and be careful. Your nation is allied to the Sakura Empire. From now on you and the cruiser Prinz Eugen will be watched with more suspicion." Not saying more either, she walked off and attached her rigging to her. She walked onto the water and made her way out to the sea. She was followed by Grozny, Tashkent and Pamiat Merkuria.

After they left the dock space leaders also packed up their things and said their goodbyes in short order. Leaving the young engineer alone within 20 minutes of them arriving. He as well got started now. Closing the front of his coat he also went out into the snow and made his way towards the dorm, in which Prinz Eugen stayed, as fast as he could.