Chapter 9

He woke up when he thought to hear mumbled words. Wondering where they came from and who was behind them ripped him out of his slumber. Realizing the fact that he was in an unknown train with people he did not know and could not talk with made him quite aware of the situation he was potentially in. He did not move but only slightly blinked through his half closed eyelids. In front of him he saw what he had feared. People from the Northern Parliament. Three of them judging by the six legs he could see. Focusing on what is his sight, he realized that there were three different pairs of legs. One small, childlike pair clad in black laced shoes with black stockings on. The second pair was longer and more defined. These wore calf high, higheeled, black combat boots and also black stockings. The third pair was again longer and had clearly the curves of a woman. They wore black, laced, ankle high, feathered higheels and what looked like pantyhoes. He guessed that there was a little girl, a teen and an adult woman in front of him. Deciding to try his luck he started to move slowly, seemingly just waking up. Opening his eyes properly and facing the people in front of him directly, he realized that he was in more trouble than he thought he could be in. He recognised the figures in front of him immediately from the friend foe recognition training. In front of him stood the destroyer Minsk, the light cruiser Pamiat Merkuria and the cruiser Chapayev. All three focused on him and he on them. Slowly moving he gave them a slight smile and slowly grabbed into his coat pocket to get his papers out. They followed his movement and he saw how each of them tensed up, ready to lunge at him in any second. Slowly grabbing the papers in his pocket, he pulled them out slowly. Reaching his papers out toward them, they eased up a bit and Chapayev took them from his hand. She read the document in their language and then looked at him with narrowed eyes. Speaking in her native tongue she addressed the other two: " According to this document the cruiser Prinz Eugen and attached staff received the order from our Comrade Commander and their Admiral to travel to Murmansk." " Isn't it strange that he is traveling alone without the cruiser and any orders for himself? He seems more like a spy than anything else." Pamiat Merkuria bidded in. "I agree, it is more than odd that a single Ironblood soldier enters our country without an proper order or invitation." Minsk agreed. " He seems to be unable to speak our language, nor does he seem to understand it." Chapayev stated. "I can speak his language in a basic way. Maybe I can get some information out of him." Minsk pitched in. " That would be the best idea." Chapayev said. Unbeknownst to them, the young engineer was able to understand some bits of what they said. Remembering some of the language his grandfather teached him when he was little. Minsk focused back on him and finally spoke to him in broken Ironblood. "Who are you? What are you doing on our train? Where is the cruiser Prinz Eugen?" Knowing that he was in a precarious situation, he answered truthfully but making sure he did not tell them more than the basics. " I am the mechanic accompanying the cruiser Prinz Eugen. She is on her way to Murmansk over the sea route, she sent me over the land route. I was brought on this train by one of your nation's soldiers at the station at the border crossing at Memel, after I showed him this paper in your language." He answered her questions. Minsk translated what he said to the others. " So he is the mechanic of the cruiser? What a stupid excuse. Why would they have a mechanic for a shipgirl? I believe he is lying. We should retain him and search for more accurate information." Chapayev commanded.The two other shipgirls did as she said and immediately grabbed the young engineer. Knowing that even the destroyer was able to break his every bone with one of her fingers, he did not resist the retention in any way. They dragged him into the room and sat him down on the ottoman in front of the Armchairs. The three sat down in three of the four armchairs. Minsk continued the interrogation: " So we are sure your story does not add up. You a mechanic for a shipgirl? Yea, that is about as plausible as a destroyer fitted with cruiser weapons. Anyways, you have one more try to explain yourself before this conversation becomes uncomfortable. So, speak up. Who are you and why are you here?" " I am the mechanic of Prinz Eugen. The orders she got made her to be a liaison to the naval base Murmansk. She sent me with my equipment over the landway to meet her there. I am supposed to arrive before her there and have everything prepared for her arrival. I mean, my passport, paybook and tools are all in my duffle bag." The young engineer explained once again. Not having the stomach to endure a rough conversation. The three ships looked at each other and Chapayev opened the duffle bag. Ripping out the leather case containing his soldier paybook, passport and finances. She dropped his clothes and canteen on the ground and found the different leather rolls filled with tools. Examining them and his personal papers the ships talked to each other in their nativ language. " this seems to actually prove his explanation. These tools are all proof marked by the Ironblood Navy and his passport and paybooks note him to be an Engineer equal to the rank of captain. He might just tell us the truth. Also his passport actually contains a visa that is approved by both sides. He crossed the border in a legal way." Chapayev concluded. "So he is not a Spy you say?" Minsk asked and the bigger cruiser nodded. With a gesture of her hand Chapayev gave the initiative back to Minsk, which addressed the young engineer again. "It seems your story adds up with what we have found ourselves. We excuse our behavior. We welcome you to our country and you are welcome to join us on the trip to Murmansk. Please enjoy the comfort of our waggon."

Dumbstruck the young engineer sat on the ottoman. A moment ago he was threatened with torture and in the next moment they offered him their hospitality. He smiled insecurely and bent down to collect his things which the girls had thrown on the ground. Slowly packing everything back into his duffle bag. After he had finished that he approached Chapayev, still having his insecure smile on his face. Trying his best, he collected all his knowledge about the language of the Northern parliament, asking in their language: " Excuse me.... I could please have my papers?" All three of them looked at him at once. "You speak our language?" Pamiat Merkuria asked, astonished. " Only the basics." He said in their language. "So you understood what we said all along?" Minsk asked. He nodded. " Could you believe that? There we were talking about what we thought he was and he understood us all the time. We should have thought about that when suspecting that he is a spy or even a liaison." Chapaev concluded. " Guess it is now our obligation to formally introduce ourselves. This to the left of me is the cruiser Pamiat Merkuria and to my right is the destroyer Minsk. I myself am the cruiser Chapayev. We are the light squadron stationed at Murmansk naval base. It is nice to meet you despite our rough start. Please feel free to ask us for anything." With that and the introduction done the atmosphere of hostility dissipated. The young engineer received his papers back and still somewhat uneasy took a seat in the remaining armchair. He watched Minsk walk over to the gramophone and set up a plate to play music. Chapyev watched him, while Pamiat Merkuria seemed bored and played with her hair. Listening to the softly sung songs of the Northern Parliament made the young engineer tired once more. He managed to get his canteen open and ate some of the food he bought before crossing the border. Due to that he had the attention of all three shipgirls once more. After eating his slice of bread with hack (literally chopped but meaning raw grounded pigs meat with onions), he sorted his things back into his bag and asked the girls: "Could you tell me when we are supposed to reach Murmansk?" " In about 11 Hours." Minsk answered him. He rewarded her with a smile. The rocking of the waggon and the melodic music did the rest to make the young engineer fall asleep.Despite traveling in a foreign land and sitting in one room with total strangers, he slept for a long while. He had set the alarm in his very small bedside clock to ring in 10 hours, so he could get ready before arriving in Murmansk.