Chapter 2: Family

Gus' Perspective

They got him. I didn't even get to tell him goodbye. He purposely put his life on the line to warn everyone else. And for what? To get brutally morphed into an abomination? Why couldn't he just have stayed home? He could have reported the outbreak from home. I'd still have the old man that way...

My brain racked up all these emotions. It just seems too surreal. Whatever, Luz is expecting me, I can grieve later.

As I started to grab my staff, I noticed a picture of Dad giving me a boar hide ride on his back for "Take Your Kid To Work" day. My vision started to get blurry as I grabbed the picture and Hawking.

I took in a deep, shaky breath and walked outside. It was pure chaos. Everyone was running for their lives, there was fire everywhere, buildings that I used to take for granted were now ash and rubble.

I sat on Hawking and sighed. "Owl House, bud."

As Hawking flew me there at lightning speed, all I could think about was how he's never coming back. By the time I arrived, everyone else was already here. Hooty couldn't help but get excited.

"Hi, Gus! Wanna hear a funny stoooory?!" He chirped and spun his long owl tube head around me. He's creepy nonetheless, but after 3 years of hanging out with the gang after school, you get used to it.

I sighed. "Maybe later, Hooty. Let me inside."

"Okay! Hoot hooty hoot!" he chirped and opened the door.

Viney, Jerbo, Emira, Edric, Amity, Luz, Lilith, Eda, King, and Willow were there comforting each other.

"Gus! Hey, buddy, are you okay?" I heard my illusion track peers ask in unison.

"Honestly, no..." My voice broke, and so did my heart. I started weeping profusely. I couldn't hold it back anymore. My eyes flooded with tears, streaming like waterfalls.

Everyone went silent before pulling me into a group embrace, even Amity's salty ass. 

Maybe I can still find a family in this ragtag group of friends.

That's when we heard the banging on the back door.