Chapter 5

"I'm sorry, I just can't do this."

"But please, I will do anything for you, my love!"

"It's better you leave now, before it has become too painful." 

 Kiah's dramatic dialogue with herself in front of the mirror was interrupted by the ding of her phone. She touched up her outfit for the last time. For her date with Cate she had decided to wear a loose floral button up with high waisted jeans. It had taken her a whole lot of overthinking to choose that outfit. She didn't want to dress up too much, didn't want Cate to think she had put much thought into the outfit. Besides, she didn't even know where they were going! There was no way she could dress accordingly. So, in her fear of coming across too interested among other things, she decided on a basic neutral outfit. She put on a few rings and a fake silver chain to add a little flavour and left it at that. 
 Kiah picked up her phone to read the message only to be reminded once again that this was an impossible feat. 

Stupid screen

 She could see the message was from Cate and concluded that it was either the woman telling her she was on her way or that the date is off. For the sake of her own sanity, Kiah decided to go with the first option. It was nearly 8 anyway. The brunette opened the screen door to her balcony and stepped out on the cold bare tile covering it. She lit a cigarette and focused her eyes on the parking lot, waiting. Yellow street lights drowned out the opressive dark blue of the sky. Stars were barely visible with clouds covering most of them. A chill ran up Kiah's back as she inhaled the bitter smoke from her cigarette. 
 A car pulled up and a few moments later Kiah's phone rang. She ran inside to pick up.

"Good evening, my lady."

Cate's voice with an almost convincing imitation of a posh accent came from the other end of the line.

"You know what, Cate, that was almost believable." 

"Oh, I would hope so! Considering what I do for a living."

"Wait, what do you do for a living?"

"Let's leave the questions for later. I am waiting for you on the parking lot."

 The line went dead and Kiah stuffed her phone into her pocket. She sprayed some perfume, made sure her hair wasn't a mess, grabbed her jacket and left her apartment. 
 As she reached the parking lot she saw only one unfamiliar car. A classic white Mustang! Kiah stopped in her tracks to admire the car. Despite not being a car person, Kiah had a taste for classics. Could it really be Cate's car? Someone stepped out of the car and a blonde woman in a dark suit approached Kiah. She couldn't determine the exact colour in the dark, but it looked like some kind of dark red, burgundy maybe. 

"Wow." 

 The exclamation left Kiah's mouth before she could process it. Cate looked so damn fine. The woman laughed. 

"Like what you see?"

"I sure do, but I also feel underdressed. Should I go change? I'll go change."

 Kiah turned to walk back, but Cate grabbed her by the arm and spun her around. Cate tucked a strand of hair behind Kiah's ear

"You look perfect."

 Kiah smiled, resisting the urge to kiss Cate. 

"There you go again with the flattery."  

 Kiah teased. Cate let her go and turned to walk to the car.

"As we have already established, I only speak the truth, Kiah." 

 Kiah ran after her. 

"Somehow, I can't seem to believe that"