Daisy

Daisy🌼

Throughout history the Daisy has been associated with many goddesses, Freya and Ostara as well as the Greek goddess Aphrodite.

The most know story comes from Roman Mythology and a nymph named Belides. She transformed into a daisy to escape from a Roman god.

How did it get it's name then ?

Daisy originated from the Old English meaning, dægesege which means “day’s eye” because the flower opens and closes based on sunlight exposure. Resemblance to an eye, as it closed for night-time and opened up again in the morning, hence the saying “fresh as a daisy” for someone feeling bright and joy in the morning

During the Victorian era, maidens pining for a lost love would pluck a daisy’s petal one by one and chant, “he loves me, he loves me not,” for each petal removed. The last petal predicted the outcome. Maidens were also known to blindly pick a handful of daisies to determine when she would marry. Upon opening her eyes, the number of blossoms in her hand foretold the number of years remained until her wedding date.

Norse mythologyFor the Vikings, it was a love goddess Freya, who gave the daisy meaning

Norse mythology
For the Vikings, it was a love goddess Freya, who gave the daisy meaning. It symbolized motherhood and childbirth and through that was associated with sensuality and fertility.

But what does it really represent ?
Quite a bittersweet symbolism in fact, as they believed that when a child died (especially in childbirth) that the gods would sprinkle their grave with daisies to cheer up the grieving parents .On the other hand it's used to show Innocence, simplicity and joy.