lily

Part 3 in flowers and their meaning

lily 🌼

There are so many different meanings related to the lily flower, but most of them come from ancient Greece .
This flower was described so many times in Greek mythology and its symbolism is popular nowadays as well

lily flower is a symbol of motherhood, as well as a symbol of rebirth; because of that a bouquet of lilies could be a great gift that you can give to your mother or maybe to your grandmother .

Another meaning related to lilies is love , because of that this flower is used on weddings. It is believed that the lily flower can be a symbol of good luck as well .

One of the meanings associated with the lily flower is renewal. New changes are going to happen in your life and you should accept them with all your heart, another last meaning that we can relate to lilies is ambition, which means that you need to be ambitious sometimes in order to overcome all challenges on your way .

The Greek myth behind it

The lily was dedicated to the goddess Hera who was the goddess of women , marriage, family and the wife of Zeus who was the ruler of all the gods on Mount Olympus .

Zeus who wasn't the best husband, was having an affair with Alceme
a mere mortal , the end result being  he fathered the ancient Greek hero Hercules .

Zeus as any father wanted only the best for his baby son and knew nothing topped the milk of Hera his wife , when it came to raising Greek gods how though could he persuade Hera to nourish the child of her husband’s illicit affair?

There was only one thing for it . Zeus drugged Hera and waited for her to fall into a deep slumber and then placed Hercules at her breast.

The milk gushing from her breast sprayed across the heavens forming the Milky Way and the few drops which fell to Earth sprang up
as lily flowers . .

The lily symbolizes purity and beauty and depending on the colour or type it sends different messages

The white one is for modesty and virginity .

The orange is for passion .

The yellow is for joy and happiness .