Peony

A new chapter in Floriography

The peony 🌸

It has two opposing myths that account for its contradicting meanings. In one the origin of compassion can be found ; in the other the more negative connotation that developed in the Victorian age is displayed .

In one tale, the peonies get their name from the Greek word Paeon. In Greek mythology, Paeon was the physician to the gods who angered his teacher Asclepius after he extracted a milky liquid from the root of a peony that cured Pluto. Asclepius was the god of medicine and healing. He threatened to kill Paeon out of jealousy because he was outsmarting his teacher. Zeus saved him by turning him into a beautiful flower, the peony.

Another myth links the name peony back to a nymph named Paeonia whose beauty attracted the attention of Apollo. Out of spite, Aphrodite turned her into a peony. This legend is likely what led to the flower’s meaning of poor luck in the Victorian age .

Meanings in different cultures:

With its importance as the official emblem of China, the flower plays a large role in holidays and traditions like Chinese New Year. The Chinese name for “most beautiful” translates to peony. As it was also used in Chinese traditional painting

Also known as the 'King of Flowers', the peony is a Japanese flower that is used as a symbol of good fortune, bravery, honour and happiness, but it can also be used to encourage a happy marriage or to symbolize honor and compassion

Also known as the 'King of Flowers', the peony is a Japanese flower that is used as a symbol of good fortune, bravery, honour and happiness, but it can also be used to encourage a happy marriage or to symbolize honor and compassion. It can even represent bashfulness !

This flower is shrouded in mythological allure and valued for its symbolic meaning along with its medicinal and ornamental uses.

Different colours,different meanings:

There are many peony flower types.
Pink peonies are some of the most commonly given. They symbolize the beauty of marriage and are often used in floral bouquets at weddings. Pink peonies can also represent love at first sight.

While the symbolism attached to most peonies is overwhelmingly positive, that is sadly not the case with the white peony, as it symbolize shame, shyness, regret, or apology.

Peonies may be small, but they are
a unique flower of China, with a history that dates back thousands of years. Loved for its beauty, the peony is the national flower of China. Sometimes referred to as the “King of Flowers” or “Flower of Riches and Honors”, this flower has been highly appreciated throughout history for its large petals, beautiful shapes, bright colors and strong fragrance.

🍃🌸🍃🌸🍃🌸🍃🌸🍃🌸🍃

A.N
You can read more about them, i just wrote a brief things about it . It's really a beautiful flower and has a great history

Stay tuned for a new update next week and have a beautiful day