Chapter - 13

6th September 2017

I remember when Ms.Petty used to tell me I was special and that I had purpose. When she'd tell me that all will be fine and that I'll be adopted by the finest of families. My young eight year-old self believed her wholly, even now if I hadn't been adopted I would have still believed her. I would have clung to that hope that once I was adopted everything would be cotton candy and chocolate waffles.

Pure bliss.

Oh she lied, she lied real bad and the next time I do see her I'll make sure I give her a good beating. Probably smack ger wrinkled cheeks. Matt has still been ignoring me, though I se him steal glances at me from time to time he hasn't spoken to me. I guess his balls are not big enough then.

"Oh Lola Ms.Petty is coming"

Okay maybe I spoke to soon. Ms.Petty was coming here, so? What was that to me? I didn't know why hearing that made me suddenly angry. I was supposed to be happy, if not for her I'd be homeless .

Ms.Petty used to guilt trip us now that I think about it. She used to remind us all of how we practically 'owe' her our lifes so we'd work extra hard even when we were beyond tired.

"I don't have any favorites. You're all orphans and treat you all the same"

She told that to everyone during assembly when we were under ten.
I don't know whether she stopped but after I hit eleven I stopped attending assembly. I felt too 'big' for the constant yelling and screaming we received for doing nothing wrong at all.

Ms.Petty never really liked me,or anyone per se but I'd like to think she didn't like me for a reason. One certainly unknown to me.

"I said Miss Petrina is coming" Ms.M said again
"-I heard" then I left the room, Matt's eyes on my head all the way until I was out.

Why was she coming? I'm sure they wanted to give me back, afterall I haven't seen the paperwork for the adoption.If that was the case, I couldn't blame Ms.M, I'm not exactly the greatest kid in the world. I feel the spot for a good daughter poorly too. Or maybe I'm overthinking and she's coming over to hand over my new particulars. What would my new surname be?

"Petrina" I heard from the kitchen and my feet froze in its place on the marble floor.

"Melina"

"How have you been?"

"The Lord hasn't killed me yet."

At this Ms.M let out a long laugh, Ms.Petty joining shortly after, adding a weird laughter of her own.

They were acting like old friends. Standing behind the pillar I watched them talk animatedly for close to ten minutes before I heard Ms.M say study then I run back into the kitchen.
When I heard the door slam I quickly dashed for the hall.

I lay stomach flat on the couch and sighed, oblivious to Matt's presence until I heard him cough obnoxiously.

Sucking my teeth in annoyance I turned to face him

"What?"

He turned to face the couch then looked to the side, like there was someone else in the room apart from us. After his little drama skit he turned to face me again before smiling wildly,

"You certainly have a thing for pillars" he teased

He saw me.

I could feel the heat rise in my cheeks and I squirmed in embarrassment before turned my back to him again in the couch.

I know he was about to say something again. But Ms.M's loud screaming shut him up. When the place became quiet again I felt myself dozing.

"Baby!" I heard and all the sleep vanished.
I looked at Matt questionly, she called us both by that petname how were we to know who exactly she was calling. Before I could ask any questions, Matt stood up and walked towards the study turning slightly when he got to the pillar,

"Don't come eavesdropping. For your own sake just don't" he warned calmly before leaving.

As if! Maybe I was going to eavesdrop but just a little bit I mean it was weird that Barbie and Ken doll were having a 'private' meeting. Thinking carefully I shifted until I was comfortable and fell asleep in the couch.