Chapter Six: New People

TW: Blood/Wound (Not too Graphic)

 -Phil's Point of View-

I think it was pretty smart of Techno to think about setting up those groups for food. I've never thought of him as being this damn resourceful. He's a gamer who does YouTube for a career, what do you want me to say?

After the groups had been sent out, I decided to see what kind of gardening I might be able to do. As I shuffled through some dirt around the outskirts of L'Manburg, I began thinking. I began thinking about that kid I sent to go scavenging with Wil. I knew that Wil was very against it, but it seemed like I had no choice. No one else was willing to step up. It was a hard choice but we need all hands on deck at all times. It's our only chance of survival. I shuffled through my pockets, removing a small book another survivor had given to me. They were a hardcore survivalist. So I guess that's good. I suddenly heard a voice over my walkie-talkie.

"Phil," said Techno's monotone voice, "there's some people at the entrance, we need you over here." I sighed. Everyone acts like I'm in charge.

"I'm on my way." I grumbled, dusting off my hands and putting away my gardening guide. Now, let's clear up some things about our "government". It's not a government, it's a collective. We're all just here to protect each other. But maybe people are holding others up as if they're in charge. But it's the best way to go about this whole surviving thing. I looked up and saw Techno standing inside the gates while a group of about ten or twenty standing outside of L'Manburg. However, they were backed a few meters away. The watchtower men had guns on them. You know, just in case. I approved the gate and looked over the group. Mostly adults, one kid (literally about ten), and a few teens.

"How can I help you?" I asked, crossing my arms. A random man with black hair stepped forward.

"We noticed your little civilization and thought you could take a few more civilians." He smirked at me. Which gave me arrogant vibes.

"I don't like him." Techno whispered, not so quietly into my ear. I rolled my eyes as the man glared at me. I waved the signal of 'back down' to the watchtowers. They lowered their guns and stood, watching the group.

"Let 'em in." I grumbled hesitantly. Techno nodded before he unlocked the gates of L'Manburg and let them in. They walked in slowly, talking in the desolate surroundings. I watched as a woman helped the child who was limping.I approached the two, wanting to offer a little aid. "Is there any way I can help?" I asked gingerly. The woman looked up.

"His leg, he hurt it on some sort of concrete or glass while running." She said shakily as the gates closed behind the last of the group.

"Can I take a look?" I asked, crouching down to the child's eye level. The woman nodded the boy shortly nodding after. They watched me carefully. I looked at the torn pant leg. It was severely tattered with the wound fully exposed. It looked very infected, with the crusted blood just everyone on his leg. I grimaced at it.

"How bad is it?" She asked shakily, looking very worried. I frowned at her.

"We need to take him to our medics, would you mind if I carried him?" I asked. I can't help him out here. I barely know how to make a turn kit.

"Yeah, yeah." She said to me, looking at the boy. I picked him up carefully, flinching at his yelp of pain. I looked at the woman again.

"How long has he been like this?" I questioned. The woman looked down, almost as if she were embarrassed.

"About a week." I looked down at the boy in pity. I can't imagine the pain he must be going through. She looked at me, clearly saddened. "I know, a mom who can barely take care of her son." Tears pricked in her eyes as she looked at her son again. I didn't really know what to say. I'm not a dad. I'm just some guy who apparently runs an entire civilization with his two gaming friends. All I can do is listen. I nodded as I ducked into a small "tent" that was for our medics. It was just some metal leaned against each other, forced together, and covered with few layers of thin fabric to keep some warmth in. I placed the boy onto one of the empty cots to talk to our head medic. My wife.

"We have a young boy," I said as the other medics looked at me, "his legs looks pretty bad, it's been like this for a week." My wife nodded at me and I nodded back. I exited the tent, leaving the mother and son behind. I'm going to have a chat with that egotistical fellow.

I need to know why he let a child leave a wound as severe as that.

A/N: Holy moly, look at all these chapters! I just really really want to thank Pooptato1341 for this genius uploading schedule. Like, I've never gotten so much done in a single story, I'm just very happy with how this is working out :)