Chapter 4 - Baby Step and Evil God Part 4

By the time I woke up, I had found myself no longer in my room anymore. Looking at the surrounding walls and decoration, I understood immediately that it wasn't my room. The room was dim from the lack of lighting. 

The lamp was turned off, but there was some light coming through the gap of the curtain. For the first time, finally, I could get out of that room. Although the process of getting out of that room was extremely unpleasant, I was finally could take the first step of venturing into the outside world, technically.

But that was a quite bizarre experience I got there. Backlog aside, the spasm and heat I felt throughout the body were not normal no matter how you think about it. Could it be that someone cursed me? Or perhaps the reason I was kept in that room was to protect me from someone who aimed for my life?

If that were the case, it would make sense that my mother moved me from that room to this one. But, there's no way for me to know the cause of that bizarre experience as their language was nothing but static sound.

Just as I was in deep thought, a humming voice came from the doorway. Someone opened the door, which turned out to be the Cat Maid of this house. She might be coming here to slack off as usual. But, even I couldn't understand her words, her comical suicidal acts were quite amusing to watch. But, right now, I wasn't in the mood of doing it and closed my eyes.

"Ara? Ren-sama is still sleeping, huh?"

The Cat Maid greeted me. 

Huh?!

I gasped and quickly rose from the bed due to the surprise. I was shocked when I finally could hear a human voice that I could understand instead of the usual gibberish I used to hear.

"Nya!!"

When I suddenly raised my body from the bed, the Cat Maid was surprised too. She looked at me worriedly. 

"Re-Ren-sama?"

She said while looking at me with a frightened look. Ah, I was so surprised that I made a blunder. I laid back down on the bed and closed my eyes again as I pretended to sleep once again.

"I need to tell Emilia-sama right away!!"

The Cat Maid left. I kept my eyes closed for some time. Not long after the Cat Maid left, I heard many footsteps heading to this room in a hurry. The footsteps got closer to the bed. I felt a warm touch made contact with my forehead.

"Are you sure he had woken up earlier?"

A kind yet worried voice came from nearby. 

"Yes, Emilia-sama. I was surprised when Ren-sama suddenly raised his body earlier, nya."

The Cat Maid said.

"But, he's still sleeping now."

The kind voice said. She sounded anxious and sad as she said that for some reason. It saddened me when I heard her anxious-sounding voice. I braced myself and slowly opened my eyes.

"E-Emilia-sama!! Ren-sama is awake!"

The Cat Maid said hysterically. The kind woman who was no other but my mother looked at me in a hurry. 

"Ren!! Ren!! Finally, you're awake!! Please don't make me worried so much..."

My mother said. Tears formed at the edge of her eyes. I don't know whether I wanted to do it myself or it was my child self who wanted to do it, but at that moment, I had done something that I didn't expect to do.

"Ma...Ma..."

A soft and barely audible voice came from my lips. Since my birth, it was the first time I had spoken. My throat felt so dry, and squeezing out that little voice was all I could do. My mother was surprised, yet she looked so happy seeing me awake.

"Yes, Mama is here, Ren."

She raised me from the bed into her embrace. It was so comforting that I was reminded that currently, my body was still a year old. I felt comfortable in my mother's embrace, and slowly, my eyes became heavier.

"Good for you, Emilia-sama."

The Cat Maid said. My mother nodded as she was looking at my face happily. But then she was reminded of something and looked at the Cat Maid.

"By the way, Natalia. How come you saw Ren was awake when Titus just told you to clean the backyard?"

My mother asked.

"Nya!!"

A shocked yet comical-sounding response came from the clumsy maid's lips. It wasn't that loud, but her response was enough to wake me up from the slumber. My mother began lecturing Natalia, a.k.a. the Cat Maid. However, something surprising occurred during that time. From time to time, for some reason, her words turned into the gibberish I used to hear before.

At that moment, I was reminded of the announcement log, which mentioned the language-related notifications. That probably caused my sudden comprehension of their language. My mother was still lecturing the poor maid who likes to slack off in my room. Her ears were folded, and her tail was limp due to the fear, unlike how it used to be when she was excited. 

As I stared at her beast traits, an announcement panel appeared. 

<<Would you like to Activate Appraisal Skill?>>

Underneath the lined up words, there were two yes or no buttons displayed. I stretched my hand toward the panel and tapped the yes button. The announcement panel vanished. But, in exchange, a new panel appeared near Natalia's head. 

[Natalia] 

[Level ???]

Occupation: [Maid Level ???] [??? Level ???]

Race : [???]

A game-like status screen appeared. There were many question marks lined up one after another. Based on the gaming experience I had and the game-based manga and light novel I had read from my previous life, those question marks indicated that my Appraisal Skill level was insufficient or our level gap was too wide, which caused the Appraisal Skill only could display the question marks.

"What's wrong, Ren? Did you feel sorry for Natalia?"

My mother asked. I gasped when she suddenly asked that. Now you mention it. My hands were outstretched toward Natalia as I was reaching for the panel earlier.  Pretending to be an innocent child, I stretched my hand even further toward Natalia's head, especially toward her ears.

My mother walked toward Natalia. Maybe she thought I wanted to pat her head, but that's not it. As soon as the target was within my grasp, I grabbed them with my hands. The soft feeling of the feline traits on her head was quite satisfying to touch. 

"Nya!! Ren-sama, it's ticklish. Emilia-sama,  please stop him."

Natalia protested.

"No, just think this as Ren punishing you for using him as an excuse to slack off."

My mother said.

"No way, nya..."

Natalia said with tearful eyes. But those looks made her cuter, so I didn't stop.

Gyuruuuu...

A rumbling sound came from my stomach. 

"Ara, it seems like someone is hungry."

My mother said. She pulled me from the cat's ears. I tried to grasp it, but it was futile. She brought me back to the bed and began preparing herself to breastfeed me. Knowing that it was futile to refuse and that it was something I must do to survive, I'll do my best to endure the embarrassment.