Chapter 10

"So, she's really gonna try and get away from that Ravi guy?" Justin asks.

After coming home and resting for a couple days, Motionless in White eventually migrated to New York to resume working on their album. The guys tried to only ask Chris for updates on his situation with Saanvi when they were in absolute privacy. Everyone actually really liked Saanvi and wanted to ensure her safety, and they were all rooting for her and Chris in the long run.

"Yeah. Her mom is flying in tomorrow and Vee said she's gonna try to talk to her and see if she can be any help. Try to break up the engagement in a way that doesn't get Vee in trouble."

"Didn't they set a date for their wedding already?" Ricky asks.

Chris runs both his hands over his face, then sighs, "Yeah. March 30th. But hey, that's just over nine months, we've got time."

"What a shit show you've gotten yourself into," Ryan says.

"Thanks," Chris deadpans.

"And then what happens if Vee does get away from this guy? Are you guys still gonna lay low for a little while?" Justin asks.

"Yeah, probably, just with a little less fear. Vee and I both have reputations to maintain - in vastly different communities, but still. Wouldn't want anyone knowing that we were technically involved in an affair."

"Does this guy even have any real evidence against Vee? That she was only marrying him for her green card? Him just accusing her isn't gonna do much - what more could he possibly have over her?" Ricky asks.

"I think she's just scared, and I don't blame her. Our immigration system isn't...the friendliest, so I don't hold it against her for not wanting to take any risks."

"Are you gonna see her this weekend?" Ryan asks.

"Yeah, if she's available. I don't want to interrupt her and her mom though. Now, come on, let's get back to focusing," Chris picks up a guitar, "Tell me what you guys think of this."

x

Chris went back to Scranton for the weekend the next day, and was immediately met with an already exhausting looking Saanvi.

"Thank God you're home," Saanvi says, wrapping her arms around Chris as he opens his door for her.

"What are you doing here? Why aren't you with your mom?"

"She just landed a couple hours ago from a fifteen hour flight; she's at the hotel, sleeping."

"She's not staying at your place?"

Saanvi pinches the bridge of her nose, "I don't think either of us would survive that."

Chris closes the door behind Saanvi and she flops on the couch in the living room.

"You two don't really get along that well, do you?"

"I feel like every interaction I have with her is a business transaction. I'm much closer with my father. I wish he would have come here, but he's a very busy man, so I guess I understand. I talk to him far more often than I talk to my mother. He's soft, he's affectionate, he's...a real human. Since I'm their only child, my father really treasured me."

Chris sits down on the couch next to Saanvi, "I never really thought of that; you don't have any siblings, do you?"

Saanvi shakes her head, "My parents had a very difficult time having children; they were afraid they wouldn't be able to at all, and when my mother had me, the doctors told my mom to never get pregnant again, or she could die. For some reason, I think she's always resented me for that."