Chapter 1- Freedom

If freedom could be described, Shiori thinks that it's the cooling feeling of the wind flowing past her hair and brushing her neck. She was still mesmerized that she's seeing a teleporting machine, and a flying machine used for teleportation. " It's something like cars, but it's for flying." Mrs Aoi explained before throwing a cube on the floor. Shiori jumped when the small cube expanded to become a weird-looking device. "That's a Hinotori. See how these parts are like wings and it's dyed red? Those are the features of the Hinotori. Wait a moment. The magic will start soon." Masao whispered. Soon afterwards, the Hinotori began to flap its wing, and walk around in graceful circles.

Just as Shiori was about to sit on the Hinotori, as requested by Mrs Aoi, she felt a sudden pull on her hand."Shiori, get ready!" There was a mixture of voices like "Masao! Come back here!" "Hey, that's my sis!" and "Mewwww!" all jumbled up together and Shiori could only just be amazed at the feeling of wind passing through her hair and passing her neck. "Ready? One, two, and jump!" with a sudden countdown, Shiori hastily picked her pace and jumped at the right time. A gush of wind blew across her hair and she closed her eyes as she suddenly feels a drop in the ground level. Afterwards, the unknown platform she was stepping on was going upwards stealthily and she felt a sense of peace and cool in her mind. "Shio-can, open your eyes! You wouldn't want to miss such scenery!" When Shiori opened her eyes, she was in awe. The clouds were around her and were at reach. Without any notice, she reached out to touch the clouds but was stopped by Masao, who held onto Shiori's hand and warned her that she might slip if she leaves his hovering board. " When we reach the city, I will buy you one, a flying board! It will be fun, I promise you, 'kay?" At that moment, Artemis became angry and changed to human form. This made the board yank downsides and fluster Masao, who could not see Artemis at all. Shiori on the other hand was too shocked to scream as she gradually saw Masao further away from her. However, a bright light blinded everyone's vision and Shiori noticed that she was no longer falling. She quickly opens her eyes and realises that she was on Artemis' scaly body.

"WHAT!" Masao gasped in shock, and Mrs Aoi stopped her Hinotori, too shocked to even think of anything to say. Ayane flew over to Shiori and exclaimed " You have a cute dragon! But it's big......" Suddenly, Artemis spoke " Big, you say?! Alright! I will show you I'm the best familiar, better than those non-living Flyers!" in an instant, she changed to that of Hinotori's size and even has an armrest for Shiori to sit on. " We Flyers are the true form of what air transportation is at the best magic and emotional form, so you humans should remember! Shiori my lady, don't be worried, for I'm the best dragon you could meet! Everyone will be in awe of you and I will do that if it means I am a mere flying device for transportation!" All of a sudden, Mrs Aoi and Masao came over towards Artemis and started asking questions. Through this conversation, Shiori realised something and quickly asked Artemis. " Artemis, I thought you are a Whisperers' familiar. How are you able to let people show you? I clearly remember seeing in the Book that no familiar can be seen by anyone else except the owners and other Whisperers."

At that moment, Artemis chuckled and said," Eheh, a smart question from my intelligent lady! Well, I said I'm the best dragon you could ask for. In fact, I'm one of the ancient familiars that were fighting alongside the First Founders. Taken in by my First Master, he let me and my friends that were the familiars of the other Founders become the First Generation of Familiars. We are also founders of the Dragon Class, where we let humans learn from us a portion of magic that we know of now. For me as one of the First Generation, we are granted by our Masters the abilities to protect the future generations of Whisperers. Over the decades, we made the Familiars as protected as possible, in fear that another Great Dilemma will break out again. This is how the part, 'unable to let anyone see them except the Masters and the Whisperers' was formed. It was us not wanting the kids of our kind to suffer the experiences of being constantly attacked by selfish humans all the time. Also, now, despite you and your comrades being able to see me, I have made it so no one else knows about me. Look over there? That man that is not with us wouldn't be able to see me, so don't worry."