Chapter 1- Snow

Young sparrows flocked over the tree outside the window. Snow dripped down slowly and delicately. The morning air was fresh, with the cherry blossoms making it even fresher. However, a girl that was given the privilege to enjoy all this as her morning scenery every day was the opposite of relaxed and happy. Shiori Ayuzawa, aged 15 then, was wearing the finest of kimonos. Clad in a white kimono, the only colour that brought life into it was a red obi which was secured with a silver lining obijime. The child was looking at the birds, wishing how she could be free like them, to be able to do what she wanted to be and do anything she wanted to do. However, she knows, as a girl born in the Ayuzawa family, she could not even think of dreaming that lifestyle, as she has to undergo a ritual when she turned 15.

"Ririchyo, let me help you with your hair." a rarely- heard but still familiar voice said, as she entered the girl's room. "Mom, I'm not Ririchyo, I'm Shiori." said the sad girl, despite knowing what outcome she had to face in the end, especially if she said it during the ritual. " Child, do not make me hit your face. Today you are Ririchyo, the great Lady that founded our Ayuzawa family, and today is the day she died. When I was your age, being Ririchyo was an honour! The pain received from getting hit with a blade was awarded a buffet all for myself! At least suck it up!"

"But Mom! I did nothing wrong why must I endure the pain of someone I don't even know-"

A wave of pain welled up on her head as Shiori's mom threw her head to the floor and hit her face with a wooden stick at a corner of the room." *Fubuki, stop." the caring facade that the woman had earlier was replaced with a loathing glare before the woman changed back to being nice and gently took Shiori to the seat and saying "Ririchyo, I will make your hair pretty, ok?" the girl, incapable of crying, simply nodded and let her mother do her hair.

*Fubuki- 吹雪; meaning is a snowstorm. If you were to experience a snowstorm, you will feel scared and worried. However, when Shiori's mother used this as a substitute for Shirori's name, the woman wanted Shiori to know that like most people who hope not to encounter a snowstorm, her existence to the woman is scary and not needed.