Chapter 4 - December

"So," Cale delicately spoke as he tipped his eyes up to mine across from my kitchen table. "I heard Chris was going to winter formal with Bella Miller."

"Yeah." I tried to sound casual, but it came curtly and revealed my annoyance.

"And you're feeling..."

"Fine; we're just friends."

"You don't give off fine. But I don't think most people understand what fine means."

"What's that supposed to mean?" The frustration fully saturated my words as I let my book flop down. The spine slapped against the table louder than either of us expected.

"It's just, like when my dad says his day was fine, it usually means he lost a huge account or, when my mom used to tell my dad that whatever he just said was fine, it meant it was the opposite of fine. People are just redefining the word." He shrugged.

"Well, in this case, it's actually fine." I picked my book back up.

"Okay. Are you planning on going?"

I let my book slip down and was again surprised by the slap. I was going to tell him that, of course, I would go without Chris. I didn't need a boy to have a good time, but my resolve melted as my eyes met Cale's. "It's just so frustrating. We always go together. I just planned on it."

"And you hate changing plans." There was a crooked smile tipping his lips.

"I do. The point of making plans is to have a plan."

"And are the changing plans the only reason you're upset?"

I wanted to be annoyed, but as I looked back into his face, a warm wave washed over me. Cale Benton was listening to me; he cared.

I let out a sigh. "I'm so pathetic that I do think it is just the changing plans. Don't get me wrong, Chris is the best. I love him. I just don't have enough time for romance."

"Yeah, but if you like someone, you can't stop it," Cale argued.

"I disagree; with enough focus, you can stop anything."

Cale suspiciously eyed me but didn't argue; instead, he sat back in his chair and surveyed me closer. "We could go together, swap out one friend for another," he suggested.

"What?" A laugh erupted from me as I spoke.

"What? We're friends, right?"

"Yeah, but Cale, every girl in our class is waiting for you to ask her. Just ask whomever you want; you'll get a yes."

"That's not true. Besides, the idea of going with a friend may appeal to me."

"Really?"

He cracked and let a little laugh slip from his lips. "Well, I asked the girl I wanted to go with, but she can't go. She has a conflict. So, I figured the friends thing could be fun. I've seen you and Chris at these things; you two always look like you're having a better time than the rest. You don't have any of those how-do-I-act nerves."

"You get the how-do-I-act-nerves?" I protested.

"Believe it or not, I'm a teenager, also new to all this, just like you. Just because I have a different circle of friends doesn't mean I don't worry about bad breath or stepping on my date's toes." A flash of annoyance crossed his eyes, but it quickly disappeared. "Come on. It'll be fun, I promise."

"Fine."

"Wait, is that like a real use of the word fine or the new, completely terrible use of the word fine?"

"Yes, Cale, I'll go to Winter Formal with you."

The tension relaxed from his shoulders at his success. It was adorable.