Chapter 5 - January

"What's the deal with you and Cale?" Chris' whisper sliced through my dark living room as Dirty Dancing flickered on the screen before us.

"What do you mean? We're friends," I absently spoke in anticipation of my favorite part. Baby was already carrying the watermelon and about to dance with Johnny for the first time.

"Did you have fun with him at the dance?"

"Yeah, it was so much fun." I shifted a bit to redirect back to the movie. "This is my favorite part."

Chris shifted to watch the scene unfold, but I felt his desire to prod more.

"Are you into him?" His voice cut again.

"What?" I paused the movie as I turned to him.

"Are you into him? He's been single the whole year and asked you to the dance."

"Yeah, as friends. He knew you and I usually went as friends and offered to sub for the night."

"How nice of him," Chris' tone dripped with sarcasm.

"Do you have a problem with Cale suddenly?"

"No, I have no problem with Cale."

"Oh, so you have a problem with me?" My face warmed with anger. "You were the one that asked Bella to go with you without even telling me."

"Well, I'd have to see you to tell you, and you're either working on your capstone or hanging out with Cale. It's like he's your new best friend."

"Is that what this is about? We see each other all the time." I couldn't help but recall Cale's frustration that his mystery girl had no time for him. Did Chris feel the same way about me?

"No, we used to see each other all the time; now we see each other a couple of times a week." Chris shifted away from me.

"I'm sorry if I'm taking my capstone seriously. It's important for school and the community. It's supposed to teach us to be mature members of society. Maybe you should work harder on yours." My annoyance was winning over my compassion.

"Maybe I should go work on it right now."

"Maybe you should!" I yelled up at him as he popped from the couch.

"Fine," he stammered back.

"Fine," I yelled over the back of the couch at him.

I slumped back into the couch in a full pout before pulling out my phone.

"Chris is the worst!" I began without a proper greeting.

"Hi, Delly; nice to hear from you. I'm good. Thanks for asking." Cale's voice came calm and even as he spoke.

"He's the worst. He's mad because I'm too focused on my capstone."

Cale let out a sigh. "Do you think that's why he's mad?"

"Yes," I definitively said.

"Stop and think about my question; do you think that's why he's mad?"

"Yes, and now I'm getting annoyed with you, too!"

"Okay, Delly, give me a few minutes, and I'll call you back."

"Don't bother," I hollered into the phone before I hung up.

I knew I shouldn't have hung up. Chris frustrated me, not Cale. Who knows what Cale was in the middle of when I called? It was unfair, but my anger was in the driver's seat. Knowing this, I grew annoyed at myself for being short with Cale. Then I got annoyed with him again for making me feel guilty when I was already angry at Chris.