The Harem

Imagine the typical side character in a story; slightly interesting, mildly helpful(depends on the story), and overall. Unimportant to the overarching storyline. Then take that and add a small bit of importance and stretch that out to 2-100 girls or boys, and boom, you got a harem. The only harem manga I'll ever take is The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You, which isn't composed of the normal bland comedy of slapstick or jokes where or mc ends up in a blush feast. 

Sometimes the author chooses to make each girl fit into a stereotype such as a tsundere, dandere, yandere, masochist, etc. Sometimes they work as in the manga I state earlier, but most of the time, it fails t give a proper interaction between these personalities that feels fluid and funny. 

In other cases, the mc is just a perverted bastard, or the mc literally looks the same way as a girl, and she becomes a waterfall down under. I despise the type where nothing makes sense as to why they ended up together. It's like they're some character created by an omniscient being creating a manga to allow degenerates to insert themselves into, huh? I guess we'll never know.

Another thing is that they are usually extremely useless in a situation, not even in conflict. In developing the character for whatever form of the story the author chooses to write, the side characters usually have to play a supporting role, which helps the character achieves that goal. Such as finding redemption or identity or some goal they hold. No, they are more useless than a calculator in an English test, more useless than internet explorer after downloading a better web browser.

May or may not continue this thing after a couple of writing chapters.