Chapter 6

Valarie

We were led to the Great Hall by a small man with a bald spot at the back of his head that I couldn't stop staring at.

Sophia moved effortlessly, the diaphanous gown sweeping around her petite frame that left little to the imagination.

We reached the entrance and were announced.

As we entered, the other princesses and betas in attendance slowed to watch.

I felt every eye on me as I stepped carefully behind the princess. I wore fitted black leather pants and a cream shirt cut low on my chest, tucked in at the waist, more comfortable now that I could move freely.

The surroundings took my breath away, and for a moment I forgot to stay poised, and strode in with my head lifted to the ceiling.

Above them thousands of lights made of chipped glass glittered like stars.

There were several long wooden tables, all of them groaning under the weight of a mouth-watering banquet.

Sophia, for her part, managed to keep herself together and stepped delicately toward the slightly elevated table where she would be sitting with King Gabriel, Queen Raquel, and the other princesses.

I would sit at a table to the right with the other ladies. Who were all wearing dresses. My stomach sank, but I tipped my chin upward. Too late to regret it now.

Right away, as Sophia curtsied low before the Alpha's table, I could see that I was out of place.

What had made me choose to wear fitted pants instead of a gown, as the other servants clearly had?

Each lady already seated was giving me a disapproving once-over. They wore variations of the same dress; simple and inconspicuous against the royalty surrounding them.

I on the other hand stood out like a sore thumb. I was momentarily horrified until I realized that Sophia was looking carefully over her shoulder, signaling that I should take my place at the ladies' table.

I bowed my head and moved toward the table, finding a seat at the very end. I looked up through my lashes at the carafes of wines, water, and sparkling fruit juices. Reaching for the nearest jug of white wine, I started when an arm stretched beyond my own and grasped the neck.

"Oh," I said, realizing that a serving maid was pouring me a glass. "I'm sorry," I murmured. "I didn't realize that we would be served as well."

The maid, a short and somewhat plump girl, glanced around quickly before replying, "Yup. That's how they do it here during the Hunt – any visitors are treated as guests, even if they're omegas."

The quick smile the girl shot me told me that she was of omega standing as well. I almost sighed in relief, feeling more comfortable instantly, and grinned up at the girl.

"Well that's good to know. Maybe I can find it in me to relax."

The girl snorted. "I doubt it. I don't suggest relaxing with the Alpha around, if I were you. He's already sniffing out the night's delights."
Looking up at the high table, I saw that the girl was right. Gabriel's gaze swept across the crowd even as his mother leaned in close to speak with him. Sophia was seated only three people away. I wondered how seating arrangements were decided, and hoped that it had to do with preference.

"So the rumors are true, then?" I asked as the girl serving me found reason to linger, folding a napkin with a concentrated look.

"Ahh, so word has reached even the Autumn pack?" Her smile was secretive. "Yes. He has an appetite. It's amazing that he hasn't already exhausted the supply of women in the Kingdom. But maybe that's why he's agreed to hold another Hunt." The girl snorted. "It's not as if he'll decide on a mate this year."