Part 7

Adjusting his tie and fixing his suit, Adam turned left and right and commented “I look like you”

“Remind me again how that is a bad thing. I always look amazing.”

“Suhail shut up else I’ll ship you to an unknown island”, said Adam as he started taking off his tie and suit.

They had both come to get new suits for their dinner as suhail had insisted they should. It’s been weeks since they had started talking again and he had to admit that he missed him. After going into Tony’s that day, he hadn’t wasted anytime making things right between them. They talked things out, had something to eat and parted ways as if nothing had happened between them.

After trying another suit which he preferred, Suhail said “I almost forgot to tell you Adam. I invited Zara and a friend of hers  to the dinner tomorrow.”

“What?” he spun around. “Why are you just telling me?”

“Like I said I forgot. Do you have a problem with them being there” Suhail taunted. In truth, he hadn’t really forgotten. He knew that if he had told Adam sooner he would have found a way to either stop them from going or to not attend himself. If he left it up to him, some other guy would snatch her away from him sooner than he thought because a great girl like that wouldn’t stay single for long.

“No” he replied quickly. “I just would have liked to know sooner who my guests will be.”

“Wait. How did you even get in contact with her? I didn’t know you were friends” questioned Adam.

“Uhm I actually haven’t spoken to her in months. I invited her friend Aaliyah and told her to bring Zara along.” He answered while avoiding his gaze. Though they had made up, Adam still had no idea the actual reason why he had broken up with naima. But, he had his guesses and Suhail turning away as he replied only confirmed his suspicion. He had met someone else. He only hoped that he was smart about it this time around.

They headed to the cashier, paid, and had their measurements taken for the adjustments. As they drove home, thoughts of Zara he thought he had successfully buried rushed to the surface. There was something about her that intrigued him like no person ever has. He had barely had a proper conversation with her, but the little he knew would not get out of his head.

He wanted to know her, what she liked, what he hated, what made her laugh, and what upset her. He wanted to know all this things, but he also knew he couldn’t get too close to her. He had been raised with values that he planned to uphold. He had been taught to respect women and dignify them, and he hoped to do just that in this case.

***

“Aaliyah could you pass me my hijab pin please” Zara asked as she struggled to hold her hijab in place with one hand

“Here. Please hurry Zara. We’re going to be late” she reminded her as she checked her watch one more time.

“How many times do I have to apologize? I got caught up. And you’re the one who insisted that I get changed. I could have gone in my abaya you know.”

“I’m sorry. I just want to make a good impression.”

Zara watched as she paced all around the room and checked her make up every so often. Aaliyah looked stunning in an emerald green dress that fit at the top and flared out at the bottom while draping beautifully. She topped it off with a light jacket and a golden hijab which she had also draped to perfection. If she was going for a wedding she could have outshined the bride.

“You really like him don’t you?” she asked as she put the finishing touches of her outfit and makeup.

“Yeah” she said as she smiled brightly