Part 6

Chapter 6.

Cracking her eyes open, the light almost burned as it shone brightly into her sleepy eyes. Groaning, Zara turned around and buried her head under her pillow. She had started sleeping with the curtains open a while back because she liked the way the sun looked while rising. She noticed she was still wearing her prayer clothes from when she woke up for fajr. She was so sleepy after praying because she only got 2 hours of sleep that she jumped straight back into bed after her dua.

Slowly, she stretched and got herself up the bed and into the bathroom. The thing about lazy days is you don’t feel inclined to do anything productive. It was already 11.30 and she didn’t feel like doing anything so she hoped back into bed. She picked up her laptop and continued watching reruns of scorpion.

Half an hour later, Aaliyah trudged into her room in her bunny onesie looking as ridiculous as you’d expect.

“Morning bugs bunny. Want some carrots?” teased Zara as she made some room for Aaliyah on her bed.

“Very funny. I’m so tired.” She said as she grabbed a pillow and hugged it.

“I’m very sure you just woke up, for one. And you definitely don’t have anything planned for today, so what could possibly make you tired.”

“It’s just one of those days. Don’t act like you don’t get them. What are you watching?” she pushed the screen back to see what was on.

“Scorpion”

“Ohhhh. I think I spend more time concentrating on Elyes than on the series itself. Move over” she said as she shoved Zara aside.

“Here I was thinking this was my room” mumbled Zara.

They kept on watching for another hour then got up to observe their Dhur. After reading a few pages of the Quran, they went back to watching again and did this for Asr and Maghrib. After Maghrib, they couldn’t bear the thought of another episode so they decided to take a walk.

They had a special spot they would always visit and that was where most of their heart to hearts was. There was just something so serene about it that made you want to pour your heart out. The area was vacant with only a few people around. From where they sat, there was a large expanse of fine sand and at night time, it closely resembled a body of water. At the end of the land, the city could be seen in a row with beautiful lights shining everywhere. It was breath taking.

After a while, three guys in gandooras walked past them and Zara couldn’t help but remember the guy she spoke to a few months back. She hadn’t seen him after that and she and suhail hadn’t really spoken after he stopped coming to her university. She knew Aaliyah still kept in contact with him as they had something going on.

 Deciding to break the silence, she asked “How’s suhail?”

“He’s good. He actually asked me to say hi to you a while back but I forgot. Sorry.”

“It’s okay. Those guys just reminded me of him and his friend the day we met.”

“You mean Adam. You know I heard he’s single. Maybe looking to mingle” she said while wiggling her eyebrows.

“Don’t even start with me. I already get enough from my mother. I won’t be surprised if she has an actual list of potentials for me stored away in some sort of black book.” Zara said while leaning back against the wall.

Chuckling, Aaliyah said, “She’s only worried about you. You of all people deserve to find someone who makes you happy.”

“Of all people? What’s that supposed to mean.”