Part 3

“I could tell you used to be a lonely kid in high school” said Zara as she sat across from Suhail in the school cafeteria. There were a few people milling around but it wasn’t crowded as most people were in class.

“What gave it away? My lunch?” replied Suhail grinning.

“I can see we’re getting sarcastic Mr. Zakir” said Zara with a smirk

Letting out a loud laugh, he replied, “One of my best traits. How were your classes?”

“Are you asking as a teacher or as a friend?”

“Whichever one will get me an honest answer, and how many times do I have to tell you that I’m not your teacher?” he said while biting into his falafel.

“Friend it is. For the life of me I can’t understand how some of the things I learn are going to help me survive when I'm the last person remaining on earth. Seriously!! Am I going to go to the supermarket and be like ‘hi Jessica, I bought 2XY amount of oranges and 6XZ potatoes. Please use the damn almighty formula to calculate my change?’” by the time she was done with her rant Suhail was struggling between clutching the edge of the table and doubling over in laughter.

“I’ve almost forgotten the great joys of being a student”, he says while wiping a fake tear from his cheek

“I'm glad you're finding this really funny” says Zara while sending a glare his way. ”And can you stop acting weird people are starting to look this way. They are going to think I’m a nerd. I have a reputation to maintain here, so I can’t be seen having lunch with the teacher”

“Don’t get me wrong because I totally get your point and all but stop whining and deal with it. And puh-leese, being seen with me is going to improve your so called reputation. I’m the one who should be worried about mine.”

Zara fake gasped, placing her palms on the side of her face for emphasis while widening her eyes, “The nerve of you”, she began, “How dare thou peasant thinketh that thou can spoketh to me with such disrespect. Thou hath insulted the pride of thy kingdom.”

Before Suhail realized it he was back to clutching his stomach and gasping for air. Shaking his head he replied “You won’t be the death of me Zara.”

“I’ll try.”

“Are you done with classes for today?”

“Yeah. I have absolutely nothing to do now except getting back to my boring life of watching series. I’m avoiding going back to the dorms which is why I’m here. How about you?”

“same here. But being the interesting person I am, I have lots of thing to do”

“Really? Like what?”

“Like work. I’m just being lazy today so I don’t feel like doing it. Adam will probably bite my head off before the end of the week.”

“Yeah how is he?  Make sure you send my regards to him”.

“Sure. He’s been asking me nonstop about you”, said suhail grimacing

Zara laughed out loud. “That’s hard to believe. I’ve only met him once. But anyway, I know how irresistible I can be Suhail”.

 “Zara”, he said and waited for her to look up, ”Tell me about your family”. Then thinking of how his question must have sounded he added “that’s if you want to you know… it’s not like you have to or something”

Chuckling, she said ”If you want to know something just ask. I promise I don’t bite. Not in a long time anyway”. She added with an evil smirk. “Okay let me see. I have a sister ruqs. Sorry Ruqayya. She’s older than me and married with a little monkey of hers Farrah.”