Part 2

As he lay in bed that night, Adam couldn’t get himself to sleep.  He couldn’t get the thought of this Zara girl out of his mind. It’s been a while since he had a meaningful conversation with a girl. Meaningful being not once was there a comment about what he did, who he wore, or the car he drove. He meant it when he said he would like to meet her again.

He decided to get up and perform some prayers. He walked over to the bathroom and began performing ablution. As the water touched his body, he could feel himself already calming down. “what are you doing to me” he grunted as he took in his reflection in the mirror. With his mahogany brown hair color and his mixture of amber and green eyes, he was an odd one. The truth is that his mother is Italian while his father is emirati.

Unlike what most people believe, inter racial marriages in this part of the world can last. His parents have been married for 26 years and counting. He is the second child, with an elder sister and two younger siblings. He walked back into his room and brought out his praying mat. After completing his prayers, he went back to bed and fell asleep after a short while.

                                                              3 weeks later

Beep..beep…beep. beep… beep… beep. ”what the hell? Ughhh wake up its your alarm” said a sleep possessed Zara as she threw her extra pillow at her roommate. “no idiot it’s yours” replied Amra.

 “oh my God I'm going to be late” said Zara looking up “Why didn’t Aaliyah wake me up? I'm going to murder that girl” she said as she began hoping out of her bed and into the bathroom to clean up.

Fifteen minutes later, she was done and running out of her apartment while grabbing an apple. In situations like this, she was lucky she lived just about 10 minutes walk from her school, and three minutes I'm-late run to school. She was lucky enough to get to class just as her lecturer had come in.

“thank you for gracing us with your presence Zara” said Mr. James. He was a nice enough teacher and would normally joke with the students, but he knew how to be strict if need be.

“I'm sorry sir, faulty alarm. Won’t happen again” she replied giving a fake salute as few students chuckled along.

“you on the other hand my friend I will be sorry for when I'm through with you”

“sorry Zara. I needed to come by early and meet with Dr Scott before classes. I didn’t have time to sit and get you out of that coma you call sleep” replied Aaliyah.

“whatever. You’re lucky I made it or else I would have had myself a nice plate of roasted Aaliyah for dinner”

“ha ha very funny. Do you want to go to the mall with me after class. The printer jammed again and I really need to get my project printed out today. Plus I have to do some grocery shopping.”

“ sure. You want us to leave immediately after class or later in the day” said Zara bringing out her book and pen case from her bag.

“right after we pray zuhr. Now we better stop talking unless we want another comment thrown this way cuz James is already giving us the eye” said Aaliyah, turning to listen to what was being taught.

It’s been almost two years since he walked down the hallways of a school. As much as he hates to admit it, he actually misses it a little. Being here brought a lot of memories back. Well at least this time he wasn’t behind the chair but in front of it. When he was first asked to become a guest teacher, he was very skeptical about it.