twelve

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE HOSPITAL WAS always depressing sick and wounded people entering and leaving every few minutes, some that come in never going back out again.

Meredith stares through the glass as Rhodes lies in a CT-scanner. He's in a blue gown covering his body. Tony paces up to Vision who watches Rhodes grave faced.

"How did this happen?" Tony questions frantically, his oldest friend laying in a CT-scanner a few feet away.

"I became distracted." Vision admits, his tone still as robotic as always.

"I didn't think that was possible."

"Neither did I." Tony leaves vision looking in on Rhodes. Along the corridor Tony spots an equally concerned Natasha.

Tony and Natasha stand on a balcony look towards a row of trees.

"The doctors say he shattered L4 through S1. Extreme laceration in the spinal cord. Probably looking at some form of paralysis."

"Steve's not gonna stop. If you don't either, Rhodey's gonna be the best case scenario."

"you let them go, Nat." Tony exclaims.

"we played this wrong."

"we? Boy, it must be hard to shake that double agent thing, huh? It sticks in the DNA." he spoke still upset that his friend was wounded.

"Are you incapable of letting go of your ego for one goddamn second?" Natasha questions angrily.

"T'Challa told Ross what you did, so... they're coming for you."

"I'm not the one that needs to watch their back." Natasha turns and comes face to face with an angry Meredith.

"I had them in the palm of my hand, Nat. you fucked us over and somehow you walk away untouched." She shouts getting in the woman's face.

"Rhodey is hurt and it's all your fault, it won't ever stop being your fault."

Natasha stays silent as Meredith berates her, mixed emotions being sent in her direction.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature." she quotes the advice that Natasha had given Wanda stepping aside to let her leave.

Tony activates holographic images appearing on his wrist device, "what am I looking at, Friday?"

"Priority upload from Berlin. "