Chapter 20: Growth

AN: Haaaa... I updated late again.... why?

Well, this chapter.... has some scenes that is like a 🥖 and I hope some of you are aware that I get mentally and physically hurt from it... so be warned.... it's not bad.... but still....

That's why I will bathe myself in a bath of cold water... snow?... dry ice...

My mind is breaking.

-----------------------------------------------------

Upon her return, the whole empire had heard the news and rejoiced in prayers for the future of Obelia. Athanasia was working hard to restore the country while also dealing with other things.

Now she is forced to get ready for a banquet to celebrate her return insisted by Jennette though Athanasia rather focused on reducing her workload.

"Princess, if you're too tired, you don't have to attend," Lily noticed the faded dark circles around her eyes, bagged and exhausted from doing work. Luckily a little makeup would cover up that mess as Athanasia prepares for a party.

"No, I have to" She wheezed and massaged her temples in front of the mirror. "After the meeting with the nobles, I was fortunate to get enough support but now I have to attend to build up more social connection with them including the ones that were against me becoming the royal aide"

"Hmmm, that is a significant reason to go" Lily comments and takes another look at Athanasia in the mirror. Each day her beauty just radiates more along with her aura, captivating everyone around her. Perhaps her major glow-up happened when she reached adulthood. "Are you sure you can handle it alone? Have an escort with you just in case. Sir Felix volunteered to take you"

"No.. No. I want to do this alone" Athanasia suggested sternly, solemn with determination and independence. She needed to display herself alone and show her change, even creating friendships if there's a chance.

"Oh... ok" Lily sighed a little disappointed but still proud of the princess's new personality. Athanasia's courage and optimism lessen her concern for the princess going to the banquet. Before, she used to hear that Athanasia usually stood in the back as if she's invisible to the human eye. However, now, she's different. Lily didn't have to worry as much and is confident things will change.

Athanasia will no longer stay in the shadows.

"Lily, can you prepare my bed too because I'll leave early"

"Huh?" Lily staggered and glanced at her briefly before nodding her head slowly, not bothering to question it, and obeyed. "Yes... I hope you have a good time..."

"Hopefully I do..." Athanasia smiled and rubbed the hand on her shoulder softly, reassuring everything will be fine and the past will not repeat.

She will make it that way.

***

In the evening, many nobles attended the banquet to check on the first princess. The highest power aristocrats that saw her before at the meeting had high expectations for her since she seemed more stunning at every glance. Both skills and grace, her intelligence and leadership could not be underestimated after years of training and class before the arrival of the second princess. Overall, they were impressed and expected Athanasia to do the same in the social circle.

Though that was another story as Athanasia gets stuck in a room with other ladies. The same people that gossiped impudently in front of her face without even hiding it. That one group standing in the center with a snake tongue and taunting Athanasia despite the tragic incident that happened. They did not hesitate to gossip again.