Chapter 2: Survival

The honks echo muffles and lights blur. Many figments of stars everywhere which are not clear enough to recognize. She walks down the concrete streets and lets out a frosty breath. Many blocks around her and she recognized them yet she couldn't at the same time.

'Where am I?'

Her legs move on their own like it knew where it was going. She tried to look at the strange buildings but her head didn't oblige to her command.

Somehow the scenery changes and she was walking down a trail with her handcuffed behind her back. Walking up the stage and a rope tied around her neck. She didn't seem surprised but inside she was in utter confusion and fear.

'Wait. What's going on??'

The screams and yells of hate comments were muffled but she knew they were insults. Then the floor dropped and the knot tightened as it took her breath away.

'....Breathe... I... can't breathe...'

She was choking and it actually felt painful. She tried to gasp for air but something was preventing her.

'... No! It can't end like this!' She shakes and feels her mana shaking inside her stomach. 'Breathe!'

~ Athanasia POV ~

"Gasp!" I sit up quickly in cold sweats but what comes next was unexpected as a strange force pushes me back into the wall, nearly breaking my spine and neck.

CLANK

A wave of magic hits and blood spills from my mouth while my stomach feels painful to bear.

"Shit!" A voice cursed from the side and I recognized it.

"W-What are you doing?!" I yelled and groaned in pain from the mysterious incident. He must've done something to me while I was sleeping! Damn it! I should've kept my guard up!

Why did I expect him to be... well actually....

Traces of mana crackles around my skin and it tingles me with electrifying bolts. I have never seen anything like it but I'm too hurt to even admire it!

"You're more persistent than I thought," He says and stands up though I can barely see him in the shadows. But his eyes were glowing.... Not in a good way.

He's mad. I can feel it.

"I told you before and I will tell you again" I bite my lip and wipe the blood with my arm. "You will never get it" I was having trouble breathing with blood clogging my airways.

I stand up and straighten my back, leaning more into the wall as if it's gonna create any distance between us. I wanted to get away from him.

"Then I will find a substitute and kill you" He states and I heard him also groan in pain.

I was speechless by it and became confused. Is he that weak or is my shield that strong?

"... Are you ok?" I asked although I shouldn't. It felt right to ask but I know it's definitely wrong because it will piss him off.

"Shut up!" He scolds me and I can feel the atmosphere becoming more dangerous. "I think I rather kill you than keep you alive"

He looked like he wanted to do it and it makes me feel...uneasy.

Something... I need to do something! 

However, only one word came to my mind repetitively as I watch up stand up in front of me. 

Survive. Survive. Survive. Survive. Survive. Survive. Survive. Survive.

Survive

"But you need my mana don't you?" I murmured and felt my hands shaking but I held it together to prevent myself from shivering. "So-"