Chapter 1: The Name I Own

Ansherina

"Good morning, doc." Bati ng mga staff na nadaanan ko.

"Good morning." May tipid na ngiting sagot ko.

I'm casually walking my way to the assembly meeting. Wearing my white lab gown with an inner peach dress and block heels. I'm holding my black designer bag and is acknowledged by the people I come across because of the name I own.

I am Ansherina Ruiz Mendell of Mendell Medical Group. The one and only heiress and the ultimate successor of the most known Medical Group.

Should I be happy about that? That I am acknowledged as a Mendell heiress?

Well, I'm not. Happiness should not be dictated by the people that surrounds you. It should come naturally by doing what you love and by freely expressing yourself without anyone dictating you of what you should and should not do.

Lumaki akong walang problema sa pinansyal dahil sa marangyang pamumuhay. My mom and dad are very spontaneous when it comes to fame and money. They want the spotlight very much which leads them to offer scholarships and support charities to be entitled as the perfect pair of a kind and generous couple. They did that just to boost their names in the eyes of everyone.

Ngunit hindi sa parte ko, I always love charities and social services. I am willing to volunteer in anything that needs my attention. I considered myself a sympathetic person. People may see me as a cold and usually serious person but I've always been a soft-hearted person. Wala nga lang nakakaalam, I bet, even my own parents.

Sarcastically, that's the perk of having parents who just want to prove something to everyone. Hindi na nila ako nakikita kasi akala nila, inaangat nila ako dahil sa pangalang dala ko. Akala nila wala na akong dapat gawin para sa sarili ko dahil ginagawa naman na nila lahat. They probably thought giving me the best name will make me happy. But they're doing it wrong, I grew up feeling suffocated with everything they've been telling me to do. Hindi ko kayang magmukhang buntot ng pangalang itinayo nila para lang sa kapangyarihan.

I wanted to do something for myself. I am a doctor, yes. I studied medicine because I love to. I always love helping. It keeps my heart burning and awake. But even in the field that I love, they still think that I'm doing this to follow their footsteps. They acknowledged me because I am an obedient daughter. They always bring me to gatherings just to show me off. To boost someone as obedient and smart as me in the eye of their competitors and acquaintances. I never wanted that, I just want to keep doing what I love.

I don't want to be a puppet. I am not a decoration waiting for someone to acknowledge and praise me.

"My team will." I said as I raised my right hand to volunteer.

Napalingon ang lahat sa gawi ko dahil sa narinig mula sa akin.

"D-Doc Sherie..." Gulantang na saad ni Chairman Howell na siyang nagsasalita sa harapan.

We are in the middle of an assembly meeting and the agenda is about finding volunteers for the Africa Medical Service Mission that the hospital proposed weeks ago.

"What?" Nakangiting tanong ko ngunit taliwas ang natural na lamig ng mga mata sa nakapaskil na ngiti sa labi.

"We prefer low-key volunteers, doc. You are the face of our hospital, we can't send you to Africa." Kinakabahang sagot ng chairman.

Napakunot-noo ako. Hindi ko alam kung bakit siya nahalal na chairman kung natatakot siya sa simpleng tingin ko.

"I am volunteering. Isn't that the case? Why are you all so shocked?" Pinasadahan ko ng tingin ang mga nakayukong doctor na kasama ko roon. "I am volunteering in medical missions for years, because no one, not even a single soul here would volunteer to be sent in dangerous places like Africa." May pang-uuyam na saad ko. Pinaparinggan ang mga kasamahang hindi man lang makatingin sa akin. "So what's your problem now? Would you rather go there than sent me?" Sabay lingon ko sa katabing si Doctor Manuel. Isa sa pediatric resident ng hospital.