Discoveries (Poppy)

I spend the next hour doing Caeda's hair, makeup, and wardrobe. I try at least ninety different shades of eyeshadow and sixty five different lipsticks. I end up settling on a dark blue eyeshadow to make her light eyes pop. Her lips tinted with bright red. Her dress I chose her is subtle but attractive. It's black- like she's used to- and looks almost strapless but has sheer gray sleeves. I turn her around after putting her hair in a french-dutch braid going all the way around her head. Perfect. I decided to go light on the eyeliner and mascara, as to have people focus in on her eyes. She looks absolutely stunning.

"Beautiful," I say, wiping some excess lipstick off her face with one of the remover wipes.

"Thank you," Caeda says, smoothing out her dress in the mirror.

"Now try smiling, that's the best way to make a good impression on my teachers," I say. Caeda smiles, but it looks like a grimace. "A little less nose."

Caeda gets rid of the wrinkles in her nose and her smile looks almost Evergirl sweet. She has dimples, too, that's a feature most Nevers don't have.

"This good?" she asks.

"Perfect. Now will you tell me what was bothering you in the gallery?" I'd made a deal with her maybe thirty minutes before; I help her make a good impression and she will tell me what was bothering her.

"Okay," she sighs, "here's the deal. Your mother is Snow White if I remember correctly."

"Yes," I say.

"Well your mom is kind of my mother's nemesis. My mom is the evil queen." Caeda spits this all out then breathes heavily out as if this got a ton off her chest.

"Oh, Caeda why didn't you tell me?" I even heard the sympathy in my voice.

"Well," Caeda says, "I really don't want to be a Never. I don't want to be a villain like mom. I want to be like you."

"Then we're just going to have to convince them that you are an Ever," I say. "Are you fine wearing a pink dress today?"

"Yep," she replies, "whatcha got for me."

"You, Miss Caeda," I try to add emphasis to my speech, "are going to be wearing my school uniform."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Are you sure I won't look too girly in this?" Caeda asks after I've done her up. Luckily she had Surviving Fairytales second period, we had more time than the rest.

"Of course not!" I brush down the wrinkles in her skirt. "Now you just have to act the part. Stick with me and I'll demonstrate." The outfit consists of a sky blue blouse with puffy sleeves that goes under a light pink strapless dress and black flats.

"Okay," she agrees.

"First lesson," I suddenly get serious, "always smile. Do not let whoever is making you upset see it. Unless it's your prince, of course."

"Oooookay," Caeda sounds skeptical.

"Who would you want to be your prince?" I say. "Next time you're angry or sad, think of his face."

"Got it," Caeda replys.

"Good," I look at my clock, "we've got to get to class, come on."