Finally, It's Time (Poppy)

Okay, I want you to imagine that ballroom^ but 100 times more royal and covered in fake snow and with a gigantic dance floor in the middle you've got your scene for this chapter! Enjoy!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Are you ready?" Hunter holds his arm out as he admires the jeweled aquamarine tiara adorning my head.

"Let's go," and he leads me throught the doors.

As the leader of the decorating committee for the Ball, I already know what the ballroom looks like. But walking in to find fluffy snow comes as a surprise. Dovey must have gone to extra lengths to make sure to get fake snow machines. And the beautiful golden light makes it perfect.

"This is beautiful," Hunter's careful green eyes scan the room. "You did a wonderful job."

"Thanks," I say, blushing.

"Come on, let's go dance," he drags me to the dance floor where some fun, upbeat music is playing.

I instantly see Joy in the crowd of Evers. She's dancing with Evan. Her pink gown waves out behind her. Evan says something in her ear and Joy starts laughing.

"Let's leave them be for a while," Hunter whispers over my shoulder.

"Perfect," I whisper back.

"Attention, princes and princesses!" Dovey calls. A hush falls over the room. "We have some very special guests this evening." I find myself standing even taller. "Introducing, Snow White, Prince Charming, and their lovely daughter!"

My mom and dad walk in with Ani in between them. The room bursts into cheers and I scream and run.

"Mom, Dad, you came!" I hug her and Ani and dad all at once. "And you brought Ani! I missed you sooooooo much!"

"We missed you too, darling," Mom says.

"Poppy?" Ani's tiny voice says.

"Yes Ani?"

"Is that your prince?"

I turn to see Hunter standing over me. "Yes, Ani. This is Hunter. Hunter, this is my mom, dad, and little sister, Ani."

"An honor. Poppy talks about you so much, I feel I already know you," Hunter says, ever the gentleman.

"It's an honor to meet you, too, Hunter," my dad says.

"Thank you, sir. I suspect you'll want a dance with your daughter."

"Sometime tonight," dad replies, "she's all yours for now."

"Nice to finally meet you," Hunter takes my arm and escorts me to the floor.

A song that would play at a real royal ball plays and this is where our dance lessons pay off. I take Hunter to the center circle and join right in with the traditional choreography.

"Just follow my movements," I whisper to Hunter; the boys didn't get lessons.

"How are you so good at this?" Hunter struggles to keep up with me.

"I had a full weeks worth of lessons," I direct a spin.

"Oh."

The song winds down to the end and Hunter goes and gets some water. I go to my mom and Ani.

"Would little Ani like to dance?" I ask.

"Yesyesyes!" Ani immediately steps on my toes with her little five year old feet.

I guide her out to the dance floor where a slow song is currently playing. I put my hands on her tiny little hips and she laughs throughout the whole thing.

"May I cut in?" I hear my dad's voice behind us.

"Ani, why don't you go dance with mommy?" I lift her up and put her down on the floor. She goes and runs to mom.

"Hi dad," I say, taking my dress in one hand and his hand in the other.

"Hi Poppy," dad says, taking me through the dance. "Look at you! You look so grown up!"

"Thanks daddy," I look down at my dress.

"I am so proud of you, Poppy," dad says just as Caeda enters the room. I know then that trouble is on it's way.

"Dad?" I ask.

"Yes, Poppy?"

"Can I take you and mom and Ani out to the clearing?"

"Why?"

"You'll see."

"Sure."

I go to the corner of the dance floor to retrieve mom and Ani and then go to the refreshment table to get Hunter and some snacks.

"Hunter?" I tap his shoulder.

"Mmmhm?" Hunter's mouth is full of a cupcake.

"Would you care to go to the clearing?"

"Sure, just one second," he grabs a little glass of water. "Ready."

"Great, lets go."

I lead them out the doors and tell Dovey where we're going. And, just as we leave the school, I see a group of Nevers on the bridge and I hear Caeda's voice shout, "NOW!" And the bricks that the Nevers were holding go crashing in the windows of the School For Good.