Professor Dovey's Legture (Poppy)

Caeda does great getting along with my friends and the Everboys. She laughs at our jokes and smiles unlike any Never I've ever seen. She's so sweet and nice, I can't believe the school master put her in evil. I see Professor Dovey staring at us multiple times as she's doing her rounds.

"Do you really think she'll ask me to be an Ever?"

"Why not? She called us to her office and you've been acting perfect all day- why wouldn't she?" I respond.

"I don't know," Caeda says, "maybe I did something wrong."

"I swear, you haven't so much as done one single thing even slightly wrong today," I say.

"Okay," Caeda says wearily.

A few moments of silence pass until Professor Dovey comes in.

"Professor Dovey this is Caeda," I blurt out.

"Oh I know who Caeda is, it's nice to finally meet you," Professor Dovey says softly.

"Nice to meet you too," Caeda says shyly.

"Poppy, it looks like you and Caeda had some fun in the groom room," Dovey admires my makeup job on Caeda.

"Oh it was amazing!" Caeda gushes. The girliest I've seen her since we met.

"Was it?" Dovey looks genuinely confused by Caeda's behavior.

"It was! I love your castle! I love the freedom and the dresses and the food," Caeda keeps talking.

"You like it?" Dovey asks, tilting her head.

"Oh yes," Caeda cools down a bit.

"Why did you call us here, anyway?" I step in.

"Oh yes," she finally remembers what she wanted with us. "Caeda, I have been observing, has been fitting in on Ever grounds quite comfortably. And I've talked to Lady Lesso in Never."

"What?" Caeda springs up.

"She agreed to let you stay here," Dovey finishes.

"Are you serious?" Caeda shrieks.

"If you want to," Professor Dovey stays professional and regal.

"Of course I want to," Caeda starts jumping up and down.

"Poppy, do you mind switching rooms so you could help Caeda settle in," Dovey turns to me.

"Of course I wouldn't mind," I say sweetly.

"Caeda will be following your schedule, and you two will be in Purity tower 17," Dovey gives Caeda a schedule. "You might want to get a textbook, you may go to the library after classes. Please gather your things now and move to your new room."

"Thank you Professor," I take Caeda's arm and drag her stunned body away.

"Oh, Caeda?" Dovey says as I have my hand on the door.

"Yes?" she turns around eagerly.

"If you have any personal items you may want to grab them from Never grounds," Dovey says and we leave.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I smooth out my soft blanket on my new mattress and check my makeup counter and desk one more time. Caeda comes in with another box of her things.

"Hey," she says, "can I have help?"

"Oh of course!" I rush across the floor to help her with the chest of clothes.

"Here," she drops her side in the closet and opens the chest, "you're gonna love this."

I see little glimpses of color in her mostly black clothes. The color I see most is crimson. Like her finger magic. I gasp at the sudden burst of color under the layers of black clothes.

"You like it?" Caeda asks.

"Oh my gosh I love it!" I stand, stunned.

"Pretty good for a Never, am I right?" she raises an eyebrow.

"But, Caeda, you're an Ever now," I say, confused.

"Oh I made that up," Caeda says deviously.

"WHAT?!" I scream.

"All part of my plan," she turns to the closet.

"What plan?" I feel outraged, taken for granted.

"You'll find out when time comes. All part of being a Never."