Chapter 81

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

By the time Song Ci climbed off Rong Bai, his neck had gone thoroughly red. He did his best to act natural. 

Rong Bai rose and arranged the clothes that Song Ci had pawed at until it was all a mess. With a trace of a smile at the corners of his lips, he said to Peining on the outside, “Let him in.”

He had only just said that when the door to the palace was pushed open. Yan Bei partially poked his head in and glanced at Rong Bai before sizing up Song Ci. He walked in slowly. “Uncle Rong Bai, you really brought this fox demon back?” 

Yan Bei still had the appearance of a child. He was dressed in a blue brocade outfit that fitted his body, and his long black hair was tied up with red tassels and silk. He was the exact copy of Liang Yanbei as he sauntered towards them.

Except for that pair of pure, golden eyes. 

Song Ci thought, whether he was the descendant of the Azure Dragon or the legitimate1 Eldest Young Master of the Liang Clan, there were definitely countless threads of connection between them.

He could tell just by that detestable behavior of his. 

An irritated Song Ci sat at a side with folded arms to watch.

Yan Bei was obviously close to Rong Bai. He walked over to Rong Bai and threw himself into Rong Bai’s arm as he stared at Song Ci with wide-open eyes.

It made Song Ci uncomfortable. Just as he was about to ask Yan Bei what he was looking at, he heard him say, “There’s a rumor floating around outside about an unrivaled beauty hidden in Uncle Rong Bai’s palace. Apparently, he is so devastatingly captivating that Uncle Rong Bai is mesmerized. As I see it, it is indeed the case.”

Song Ci was stunned. On the one hand, he marveled at how utterly absurd those rumors spreading outside were. On the other hand, it surprised him that Yan Bei had actually complimented him.

Rong Bai stroked Yan Bei’s head. “Don’t listen to all the nonsense out there.”

Yan Bei nodded and said, “Uncle Rong Bai, you promised to lend me the Book of Ten Thousand Dreams earlier. I’ve made a trip here today just for it.”

Rong Bai stood up unhurriedly from the reclining chair. He turned his head and said to Song Ci, “This is just the time to take you there for a look.”

Song Ci was excited upon hearing this. “For a look at what?”

“Uncle Rong Bai’s Library Hall has many rare and strange books.” With that child’s memory of his, Yan Bei had long forgotten how Song Ci had snatched his blade away from him at the Divine Hunt Meet. He even took the initiative to take Song Ci’s hand and said, “There is certain to be something you like.”

Yan Bei’s hand was so soft and small that it reminded Song Ci of his childhood.

He was originally a few years older than Liang Yanbei. When Liang Yanbei was still a toddler learning to walk, Song Ci had often held him by the hand to lead him around the residence. So many years had gone by in a flash. He had never expected to be able to hold the hand of a little Yan Bei again. Song Ci’s heart instantaneously softened.

He smiled at Yan Bei. “Sure.” 

The library was not that far away, so the three of them arrived at their destination after walking for merely a short while. They pushed the doors open to see orderly rows of bookshelves twice the height of a man in the hall. A survey of the place showed that there were indeed plenty of books.