Winds of winter

There was something quite intoxicating about the air before a match.

(Y/N)'s entire body was slightly trembling with excitement as she made her way through the crowds of people along with Michimiya and her friends.

The school had finally organized a cheering squad for the volleyball team now that they had reached finals and a bunch of students had decided to come.

The four girls made their way apart from the crowd though, choosing to sit near the front where they could see everything better.

The shiny wooden floor of the court squeaked as people walked all over the place getting everything ready. Cameras flashed about and people with big headsets, TV crews and technical directors instructed assistants around.

(Y/N) could hear the vice-principal instructing the cheering squad and she grimaced at the lack of enthusiasm and rhythm her school mates had. It was extremely obvious that they were not used to transmitting morale. It was a stark contrast to Shiratorizawa's much better organized and enthusiastic cheering squad -they did have actual cheerleaders-.

She looked down, searching for a familiar mop of grey hair and she spotted him warming up next to Ennoshita and Kinoshita. He looked up at her and smiled brightly and she beamed and gave him two thumbs up.

"Why is it that you two aren't together again?" Aihara leaned against the banister with a smirk as she eyed her exchange with Suga. She blushed deeply.

"I-It's not like that, we're just friends" she tried denying but the way her voice stuttered and the flush in her cheeks gave her away.

"Mao-chan, stop teasing people with crushes" Chizuru chastised from next to her and (Y/N) could barely hide her blushing face.

The other team made its entrance then, saving her from any further humiliation as the four of them glanced down at them.

All dressed in their white and purple uniforms, they looked exactly like the powerful team that they were. Ushijima Wakatoshi was a tall and broad man, his presence screamed to be paid attention to and all eyes were on them as they stood in the middle of the court. They barely looked like the high school students that they were supposed to be.

They wasted no time trying to intimidate the competition as they started practicing spikes. Ushijima managed to send a ball to the stands with a loud and hard spike. (Y/N) shivered at the thought of what such power could do if a ball like that hit someone in the face.

She could hear Yui and the other girls talking behind her but she paid no mind as her hand went up to the pendant on her necklace. She had put it back on again if only because it was now a comforting thing to have on her.

"You can do it, guys" she whispered softly as she looked down at the team.

The teams huddled together for words from their coaches and soon enough they were lining up on each side of the court while a feminine voice announced the beginning of the match through the loudspeakers.

(Y/N) could feel cold sweat collecting in the back of her neck as her heart rose up to her throat.

Daichi and Ushijima shook hands and both of them joined their teams on each side of the court for the official line-up presentation.

First came Karasuno, each of the boys proudly jogging up to Shimizu, Coach Ukai and Takeda-sensei before joining the rest on the court. She smirked as she watched Nishinoya enthusiastically jump up in the air before the coaches were introduced and then it was time for the other team.