Chapter 21

It was our last full day at the lodge, and Ryuu and I were doing absolutely nothing eventful. Ryuu was, as usual, reading a novel. He'd take a few breaks here and there to take a sip of his cup of tea, before getting right back to his reading. 

I- wasn't necessarily watching him- it's just that I was bored out of my mind- and he looks so beautiful when he's so contently reading- and- I should really turn off my brain.

I finally looked away and turned my attention to my giant tiger that I was clutching tightly to my chest. I absentmindedly stroked its ears, smiling down at it. Even if Ryuu was only a few meters away from me, Jasmine was a great way to pretend that I was actually holding Ryuu in my arms. 

I closed my eyes and pulled Jasmine impossibly closer to my chest, basking in the smell of the stuffed tiger's subtle tea scent- just like Ryuu. That sounds really creepy... oh my god I'm so whipped for this man.

I internally groaned at my behavior and opened my eyes, glancing over at Ryuu. He was clutching his novel in one hand, and raising his cup of tea to his lips with the other. When we made eye contact for a moment, he quickly looked away and returned his attention to his book, placing his tea on the table beside him.

How long was he looking at me?

Disregarding that thought, I finally decided to do something and grabbed my laptop. I opened crunchyroll and scrolled through the home page, desperately looking for something that caught my eye. 

Not Tower of God... not Hunter x Hunter... not Naruto... what about Death Note?

"Well what's your favorite anime?"

"Death note."

I burst out into laughter.

"What's so funny about my taste in anime?"

"It's just that... of course your favorite anime would be Death Note."

Well, now I just had to watch it. I clicked Death Note and it shortly loaded before playing. 

I hadn't watched this in years, so it had my full attention. Laptop on lap, Jasmine in arm, eyes on screen. I barely even noticed Ryuu's shuffling in the background.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ryuu approaching my side. I looked away from the screen and gave him my attention. He was standing at my side with a neutral look, and I just looked at him in confusion.

"Do you... need anything?" I asked softly.

"Move over."

Oh. Oh.

I quickly scooted over to the left, making room for Ryuu to sit next to me. He wasted no time laying down and getting comfortable, leaning his head on Jasmine as he laid on his left side and watched the screen.

I smiled to myself and returned my attention to the screen as well, trying to get as close to Ryuu as possible without him noticing- which, thankfully, he didn't.

Ryuu and I spent the entirety of yesterday watching Death Note, and if he fell asleep at one point and threw his arm over me in his sleep, cuddling closer to me and my stuffed tiger- well, you'd never know. Especially because if that did happen and I told anyone, he would kill me.

But it was finally time for everyone to go home, and it was bittersweet.

To say Ryuu and I grew closer this trip would be an understatement. Our relationship couldn't even be considered friendship at this point- not that I know what to call it. After our karaoke night I was one hundred percent certain- we are just- a level above friendship.