𝗠𝗘𝗥𝗖𝗨𝗥𝗬

iron man 2 - end credit scene

It was a starless night.

The snow fell silently in the darkness, the pitch black hue lit only by the streetlights and apartment windows, where unsuspecting innocents were settling down for the night. Partygoers stumbled in and out of clubs, giggling and chatting away, kicking piles of snow at each other, drinks in hand that slopped over the rims of their glasses. The whisper of the breeze hugged peoples' hair, the cold, Brooklyn street warm with nightlife.

No one paid attention to the girl in the shadows. No one knew she was there, no one knew she had her eyes on the target, gun ready, aimed.

Across the street, a young man, blissfully ignorant to his coming fate, crossed the road.

Capture, not kill. He was her mission.

Target locked, she followed the young man with the barrel of the gun. In just a few moments, he will never be seen or heard from again.

She was the Mercury, a ghost story, the assassin best known for her evasion of capture. No one knew who she was. No one knew if she even existed.

Finger on the trigger. The young man was perfectly unaware. He tripped on the snow covered curb as he continued down the street.

Silence.

Three...

Two...

One...

• • •

This takes place before The Avengers (2012) so they are not yet around - this is an origin story for Mercury so I hope you enjoy (even the silent readers, I see you)

- softjinri