𝟬𝟲 | 𝗰𝗮𝗽𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲

Lorena was awoken first by the thumping in the back of her head

Lorena was awoken first by the thumping in the back of her head. For a brief moment, she wondered why her holding cell was so bright. Then she remembered that Isabella would be coming in soon; she would make the headache go away.

Her heart stopped as, very suddenly, the memories came flooding back.

Her eyes snapped open-- she winced at the bright, foreign light as it sent searing pain through her eyes and into her pounding head. As her vision adjusted, she realised she was sitting in a kind of reinforced glass box, her hands and feet pinned down by thick metal cuffs.

She had failed her mission. She had been compromised.

If Chimera ever got their hands on her again, if Roman ever knew she was alive, they would kill her.

Her mind whirred a million miles a minute, taking in every detail of the cage she was enclosed in, the scene beyond, all possible escape routes, and finally, the man that stood before her.

He had his arms crossed, watching her with only one of his eyes, for the other one was covered by an eye patch which partially concealed three huge scars across his face. He was standing in a way that showed he took no nonsense, he was intimidating, but he didn't need the pose to look that way; his lack of an eye was intimidating enough.

He didn't say anything at first, simply watched her. She watched him back, never once blinking until he caved and blinked first.

'Do you know where you are?' the man said. Even his voice was powerful.

Lorena didn't respond.

'Did you hear me?'

Again, Lorena didn't respond. She would not speak to any of these people, no matter what they did to her. No torture could be worse than what she had endured during her training. She would, under no circumstances, be compromised beyond this.

'Let me get one thing straight,' the man said, moving to the control pad that stood beside him. 'You move, you struggle, you so much as attempt to remove those restraints--' a shock ram instantly through Lorena's body. She inhaled, suppressing the cry that threatened to break free from her throat.

'Now you can either remain the silent soldier,' the man went on, 'or you can cooperate, and we'll show you mercy.'

Lorena glared at him, fists clenching.

'You tried to kill two of my best operatives. You've made me angry, and I'm not sure you'll be glad that you did.'

Lorena inhaled deeply again, fighting to keep herself calm. If she so chose to, she could probably break free, but she'd be subject to electrocution, probably enough to knock her out again, and then these people would kill her.

She reminded herself, nothing could be as bad as what they put her through in Chimera.

Excerpt for death. For everything Chimera had done, they had not killed her. And she knew all too well that, had she been given the opportunity, or the reason, Roman would have done so by now.