𝟭𝟱 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗻𝗱 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱

'don't they know

'don't they know... it's the end of the world' - skeeter davis

As the darkness began to dissipate, Lorena wondered why she was floating. Wind was howling in her ears, and somewhere far away, there was screaming and sirens and a harsh wailing right behind her head.

  She opened her eyes and looked around, blood pounding in her ears and thumping in her neck. In the back of her head was a loud ringing, howling over the sounds of anything else.

  She didn't know where she was. She was vaguely aware of her arm being raised above her head, her stomach on fire, a stabbing in her shoulder, a knife blade in her leg...

  She wondered where Nico was. Where had he gone? The last thing she remembered... was him pointing his gun at her.

  He had wanted to kill her.

  She couldn't tell if he had succeeded.

  As her vision began to clear, it began to focus on what lay below her.

  At first she wasn't sure what she was looking at. It was a mountain of broken cement and stone, enveloped in a cloud of grey dust. Fire glowed beneath the fog, and on the ground far below, fire engines were gathered.

  The ringing was incessant.

  Lorena stared at the mess several stories below her. The dust was rising higher, threatening to engulf her, and, from her spot floating in the air, she could see several lone arms and legs, a face, sticking out from beneath the rubble.

  She didn't know who they belonged to, whether they were even real.

  It seemed like a nightmare.

  She had done what she had been tasked to do. She had completed her final mission. The last orders she would ever have to take.

  Her brother was there somewhere. Her father's mutilated corpse. Isabella, unsuspecting, innocent to all, dead, beneath the mountain of rubble.

  She had done it.

  Chimera had fallen.