𝟬𝟮 | 𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗺𝗲𝗿𝗮

Lorena couldn't remember her family

She had spent her whole life, since the age of sixteen, a super soldier for Chimera. Her father was the Chief, and had offered her up at the age of ten to train as an assassin, and then later, put her up to be one of the two dozen subjects to go under human testing for Chimera's recreations of Doctor Abraham Erskine's super soldier serum, the serum that had once created Captain America.

It had taken almost twenty subjects before Lorena's turn, and, by some freak chance, it had worked on her. The other subjects, all assassins in training, had either been failures or had to be executed, for fear of them attempting to overpower Chimera.

Lorena had been one of the few successful attempts. There had only been three, including her, and the other two had been hunted and killed following rival agencies discovering their identities. Lorena, however, had not been. She was too intelligent, too strong, too quick.

Physically and mentally, she was stuck at the age of twenty one. She had been born almost fifty four years ago, and she sometimes caught herself wondering what would have happened had she not been orphaned at such a young age. For the Chief, Edoardo di Santo, was not really her father.

He had found her in an orphanage in the early sixties in the south of Italy. She had never known her real name. Edoardo di Santo had taken her in for reasons unknown, brought her back to his family home, and offered her up to Chimera, a subdivision of a larger organisation that Lorena knew nothing of. She was not allowed to know. Edoardo di Santo had founded Chimera to be a programme to train assassins for this greater organisation, and over the years it had developed into a subdivision that worked to take out threats, gather intelligence, and do all the dirty work for the higher ups.

All Lorena knew of this greater organisation was that the soldier who had trained her had come from it.

For almost forty years, Lorena had been taken in and out of the freezing chambers, brought out only to complete missions and kill those that threatened the safety of Chimera's operations. She had been leaving the Mercury symbol at the sites of where she operated for so long, that people had stopped believing she even existed. People believed that she, known as the Mercury, was a terrorist organisation.

No, she was the weapon. The greatest weapon that Chimera had ever built.

She knew nothing of life. She was allowed, on occasion, to go back to the home she was raised in before she was offered up. Edoardo di Santo, her father, had never once been there to visit her. But there, he left his wife, her mother.

Her mother was a beautiful soul, a kind woman who knew nothing of the inner workings of her husband's business. She was in her eighties now, and always commented on how young Lorena still looked.

'Why don't you stay with me again?' she had asked Lorena on her last visit.

'I can't,' she had said. 'I'm too busy with work.'