Stuck in Reverse

My seat was in the front row. Unfortunately as usual I was stuck with Chris West, my ex boyfriend. Chris and I had dated from the eighth grade. Though I never figured out why exactly was I drawn to him. He was hot as hell. As immature as I was in the eight grade , I fell in love with him within 2 days. Two freaking days. It had seemed like I had found my true love. Alison had warned me and so had Jake. Jake wasn't fond of Chris since he knew about him being a player. But it was all bullshit to me then. Chris was what seemed right and though my mind echoed with warnings from Jake and Ali but my heart just beat for Chris.
That was until I caught him cheating on me. Not just caught him , but caught him red handed. We were talking on the day that we completed an year. Though these few months had felt different in a bad way and it felt forceful. Somehow I felt it was just me hanging on to the relationship with all my might but Chris seemed not to be interested lately. He started acting all weird , we stopped holding hands , we hardly talked and all we did when we were together was him forcefully kissing me and not soft , passionate kisses but hard , forceful ones which made my lips sore. He always tried to get me to have sex with him , he would touch me when we were in the library and even when we were walking to the parking lot. Once when we were in detention he tried to pull my shirt off ,I told him to stop but he just didn't listen. The day we completed an year he told me to come to his house since he had planned something special for him. I had no idea what it was but I just walked to his house since he lived two blocks down my house. He told me to be there by 8.30. I couldn't control my excitement , I thought Chris was going to make it all right and I reached 10 minutes prior. Before I could reach the door , I froze in my shoes from the sight I saw from the window.
Chris and Jessica(my sworn enemy who wore clothes that barely covered her) were entwined on the couch where Chris and I had shared a passionate and promising kiss that we completed each other and he told me that he loved me. I didn't realise when tears started rolling down my cheeks and I started sobbing. I couldn't believe it. My heart had shattered into a million pieces. Nothing could fix me.
I turned on my heel and started to run. I ran towards my house. I felt like I would die crying. My heart wouldn't stop aching. I reached my house and slammed the door shut. I ran up the stairs to my room and flung myself onto my bed and rolled into a ball and howled. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I freaked out. It couldn't be anyone. I lived alone , Jake was at his apartment. Had I forgotten to lock the door ? I was confused but I still couldn't stop my sobs.
"Becca". It was him, my brother, my saviour. Without looking into his eyes, I turned and fit myself into his big, muscular arms. That was a place I felt safe in. He cradled me like that whenever I cried. "Baby girl, what's wrong?" I couldn't stop crying. But I had to tell him, he was my brother and we didn't keep secrets. "J-Jake....h-he.. C-c-Chris ..." Saying his name broke me down... I sat in my brother's lap and he cocooned me in his safe arms. "Baby girl , I told you.. That guy's nothing but a dick..What the fuck did he do you doll ? All you have to do is tell me and he's had it. "
I gathered some courage to speak . "Jake don't do anything to him, please" I managed to speak through my sobs. "Are you crazy Beccs ?? Just tell me what he did." "He was with someone else this whole while Jake. Even when we kissed and he tried to get me to have sex with him. Luckily Ali had saved me that time or.." I broke down again. Jake tucked me in and put me to sleep.
The next morning when I woke up Jake was still asleep. That was unlike him. I walked to my brother's room to wake up him. As I went and sat on his bed , he got up me and hugged me tight . He did that everyday but today was different. He said," Baby girl , you mean the world to me and you know it. I can't watch you get hurt. Please take your decisions carefully and learn to listen to your older brother." I hugged him back and kissed his cheek," Jake I promise to listen to you and thanks for last night." "Don't mention it and stay away from Chris. If he tries to talk to you , you're going to tell me. I'll be heading home today but I'll be back tomorrow for the weekend. "
I had gone to school and Chris had turned up with a black eye and I knew why Jake had been sleeping in late. He had business to take care of last night. I could help a giggle escape my mouth and as Chris looked at me, I passed him the looks that could kill and he just turned his face and walked back.
It's been an year since then and now Chris just says hi and bye before and after the class.