Chapter 4

Carter played with the hem of her light blue jacket as she made her way down the sidewalk, trying to catch a glimpse of Ross. She began to feel uneasy at the thought of him standing her up. No, he wouldn’t do that, she thought, would he?

Just then she spotted the blonde just a few yards away, sitting on a park bench. She smiled as she got closer, and she noticed something unexpected. Ross wasn’t alone. On his lap was a small puppy with tiny paws and floppy ears.

Ross then spotted Carter and smiled. “Hey,” he said, reaching up his hand to pet the puppy’s head.

“Hi. And who’s this?” Carter asked, gesturing towards the small black and brown puppy.

“This is Jetta,” he said, “Jet for short,” he said as she licked him.

Carter felt her heart melting at the thought of Ross owning this cute little dog.

Carter smiled at Ross and watched in awe as he pet Jet with a smile of his own. He was wearing a black beanie today, and Carter came to realize she really loved the way he looked in a beanie. He was also wearing a different pair of ripped jeans that Carter had also decided she likes best on him.

Jet sat on Ross’ lap and looked up at Carter playfully. Carter held out her hand for Jet to sniff, and Jet gave her a playful lick, and Carter followed by rubbing her head.

“She’s very sweet,” Carter added, still standing up. She wanted to sit down next to Ross but his arm was resting on the back of the bench, and she was too shy to just sit that close to him. So she fumbled again with the hem of her jacket as Ross looked up at her curiously. A small smirk played on his lips.

He gestured with his head toward the empty spot on the bench.

“You can sit down, Jet won’t bite,” he said, then paused. “I can’t say the same for me though.”

Carter’s eyes widened as he sent her a wink. Her cheeks burned as she smiled awkwardly, not knowing how to react.

Ross chuckled. “I’m just kidding, come here,” he said.

Carter shyly made her way over to the bench and sat down at a safe distance, but close enough where his arm was still behind her head on the top of the bench.

Though Carter was too shy to sit by him without being asked, she was happy he did end up asking. She was all too aware of his arm behind her and she wasn’t sure if her stomach was knotting at the thought of it wrapping around her because she didn’t want it to or because she actually did.

They sat for a bit, chatting about how their day went, and petting Jet all the while. Suddenly Carter felt his arm fall off the top of the bench and she caught her breath. She let it out when she noticed he was now resting his hand on the seat of the bench, right beside her leg.

She pet Jet again, looking at Ross. “So, what are the plans for today?”

“Well,” he started, looking right into her eyes, making Carter look down at Jet. “I figured we could just walk around for a bit, see what the evening brings us,” he added.

Carter nodded, smiling. Ross picked Jet up off his lap and set her down on the ground, grabbing the end of her leash. He turned to Carter, a familiar grin spread across his mouth.

“Let’s go!” he said, raising his eyebrows and lightly tapping her leg with his hand twice as the said the words, before standing up.

Carter’s face blushed red and she felt the spot on her thigh burning. He barely touched her but the feeling nearly knocked the breath from her. Ross was already a few steps away before she gathered herself enough to get off the bench.