Chapter 4.

Chapter 4 ━━ The Error

━━━━━━━━☆★☆━━━━━━━━

Katherine's feet begin to run towards the entrance of the deadheads to see a guy pushing Thomas on the ground, who is struggling against his grip.

She recognizes the guy as the runner, Ben. He looks pale and twisted. Tight, rigid cords of sickly green veins webs across the boy's body and limbs, like ropes under his skin. Purplish bruises covering the kid, red hives, bloody scratches. His bloodshot eyes bulged.

"Get off him!" She tackles him and it makes him release his grip on Thomas. But just as he recognizes her, he attacks her back, gripping and squeezes the soul out of her throat, growling like an animal. His lips taut with anger, eyes on fire. "This is both of your faults! I'm going to kill you!"

Katherine kicks him and punches him when Newt knocks Ben down to the ground with a shovel.

Thomas helps her up, looking for injuries, which she doesn't have any. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." She replies. "Are you?"

Thomas nods in response.

"Hold him down." Newt orders the crowds and looks at Ben. "What are you doing?"

"Calm down, Ben." Gally says as he and Frypan hold him to the ground.

"Calm down, Ben." Alby turns up and examines Ben. "Lift his shirt. Lift his shirt."

"No! No! Please. Please." Ben whispers when Newt lifts his shirt to reveal a wound on his stomach, surrounded by purple veins.

"He's been stung. In the middle of the day?" Gally states, looking up at Alby. It is more like a question.

Katherine remembers how he said that it is safe within the daylight and now the complete opposite has happened.

"Help me, please. Please. Please, just help." Ben sobs, murmuring.

"Put him in the pit." Alby commands the group between Ben's pleadings. "Everybody, help. Take him to the pit."

"Listen to me! Please! Please, stop, please!" Ben shouts, breathing heavily as a few Galders carry him away. "They did this! They called them the twins! Please stop! No! No, please! Help me!"

Jeff and Clint are currently taking care of Thomas's wrist, which is injured by Ben's attack.

Katherine is sitting next to Thomas and grabbing into his good arm. Chuck is standing, playing with a small ornament-like thing.

As Clint bandages Thomas's wrist, Alby walks to them, taking a seat next.

"How's him?"

"He's okay." Jeff answers.