Chapter Ten: the Truth comes out

Micheal had picked to have Lunch alone and have dinner with the McCoys, he just felt like he needed some time alone. To think about who John really was. Micheal did end up asking Joseph to join him for Lunch, where he asked him some questions about John. but really Joseph knew not as much as Micheal half wanted, but finally, it was dinner time and Micheal had more people to ask. But Micheal had to get there before dinner, to catch them all alone. Some reason he didn't want Priscilla all over him while he asked questions, was he that attractive? Micheal chuckled at himself, Joseph at his side as they both walked towards the McCoy home.

"So, Who do you think would know more about John?" Micheal asked Joseph.

"Priscilla would know the most"

"Besides her," Micheal said, Joseph nodded.

"Then I suggest talking to Jacqueline," he said- so far throughout this whole day Micheal has grown closer to Joseph, the tough Guard had also clearly grown to like Micheal just as much, but he also kept telling himself not to get too close to Micheal since he was, after all, a criminal.

"Uh-huh, Okay. Who else? In order,"

"Priscilla, Jacqueline, Um... I'd say, Mrs. McCoy, Jennifer Lexington, and Mr. McCoy. He knows pretty much nothing about John though," Joseph said, knocking on the library door.

"Come in," Jacqueline's voice could be heard. Joseph came in Micheal behind him. "Oh Hello," she said as Micheal came in, She didn't know Micheal was with Joseph, but she guessed it was because he wanted to question people... or he wanted to ask for her number, who knew.

"Yes, Hello, Um, Jacqueline I have some questions to ask you," Micheal said, very straight-forward. He sat down on the red library couch, Joseph just stood, blocking the doorway.

Jacqueline looked at Micheal, closing her book. "Oh... what kind of questions?" she eyed him curiously.

Micheal leaned back, taking his sunglasses off- the Libary was a very cozy room but had very dim lighting from the lights and small fireplace, he barely could see. "Questions about John Harding, I'm curious. What kind of relationship did you have with john? Who was he as a person?"

Jacqueline sat straight, "I... my relationship with John was not so good, I never liked him."

"Why?"

"He... He was just not a good guy, Priscilla just couldn't see it..." Jacqueline said, pain in her tone.

Micheal lifted a brow, this was getting interesting. "Oh? She couldn't see what? What made him such a bad guy?"

"He was just mean, short-tempered and abusive towards Priscilla, that is the reason his family kicked him out. He was using them, for their money. He always uses people for their money, spending it like water in his pocket then always going back for more, he also was very short-tempered towards his parents. I've met the Harding family and they very loving people,"

Micheal looked at Jaqueline, not surprised, he knew John would probably be the short-tempered type. He always found himself on the fronts of almost every paper, all of them talking about him and his dumb fights with fellow old money families and big businesses. So Micheal did Expect him to be short-tempered and mean, and it was always shown that he loved money- rather greedy man. But he half didn't expect his guess of him being abusive as being true, it was rather sad really. He actually felt a bit bad for Priscilla.

"That doesn't sound very good," he said, "So he has many enemies I'm guessing?"

She nodded, "Oh yes! He has many, too many honestly..."

"And which of them would have killed him?"

Jacqueline thought about it for a moment, "Um, I don't know. Most of them are old Money families or some rich person. I guess the Thompsons' son, Gregory would've hired a hitman or something like that, since he was out of town. But Really Gregory is too kind to even do such a thing, even though he really hated John."

"Gregory Thompson..." he mumbled to himself, he knew very little about the Thompson family since they kept themselves very distance from Popularity or fame, they yes were quite famous but they kept away from the public and such, not wanting everyone's attention on them.

"You know Gregory?"

She nodded, "I... I was with his brother for 2 years," she said simply, "so I've met him and the family, wonderful people they are... not capable of evil, or I think..."

"Why did you suggest Gregory if you doubt he'd be the killer?" Micheal eyed Jacqueline suspiciously.

"Oh, well, Greg has made threats towards John. saying that he'd kill him if he ever got the chance... and such..."

"Mmm," he nodded, thinking of more questions, "what did John do every morning?"

"Well, he lived in the very house you're staying in, my family took him in because Priscilla insisted on it, he mostly stayed there, every once in a while leaving... mostly at night though, as I said he was a big gambler. So I suppose that could be it."

"Possibly, but maybe not" she then added, "I... I did actually find something very suspicious, I got some mail 4 months ago and it was mixed with John's, it was a letter... I may have opened it out of curiosity since it didn't say who it was from so I was curious. I read it and it said something about him being in dent and he needed to pay up or else... I couldn't read the rest since John came in," she pursed her lips together in a straight line, she bit her bottom lip. With one shaky breath she continued, "she was obviously mad at me, which I understood... I shouldn't have opened it but I knew he was up to something he should have, so I told him I'd call the police on him and he... he threatened me and my whole family's lives if I did something." she wiped the tears off her cheeks. Micheal turned to Joseph who was shocked and angry. "He... I... I don't mean to be rude or add any suspicion onto myself but I really think he deserved to die..."

Micheal got up, wrapping his arms around Jacqueline. He patted her back, "well... he's gone now, no one will hurt your family, I promise." she hugged him tightly back, softly sobbing. He was shocked, he was afraid to know what this poor girl had to go through, trying not to tell a single soul about any of it just to keep her family safe... it made him wonder what Priscilla went through if he was abusive... He needed to ask her... soon...

Hello Hello! thank you for reading this chapter of The best assassin, I hope you enjoyed this one if you did please consider voting and commenting and whats your opinion of this book so far?