Quarterback

hi!! i know this isn't bughead and that it's in a bughead "book", but i didn't want to make a whole separate book specifically for this fic. so i am interrupting the regularly scheduled program to bring you a, uh, fic about a ship who may not even have a name!!!

***

Jughead paced the length of his room, anxious. He bit his nails and chewed his lip in an attempt to understand anything that was going on.

"Jug, maybe you should sit down," Betty said from the foot of his bed, unnerved by the way he was acting.

"No," he mumbled, glancing out the window before starting to pace again. "I'm fine."

"Jug," she sighed, twisting her lips.

"He'll call. He said he would," he muttered, continuing to chew on his bottom lip.

Are they done?, he wondered. Is this over? Everything they've done, he's supposed to forget about it?

Summer was perfect. He wanted to go back to summer. Back to when he wasn't riddled with anxiety and didn't have to keep his head down when he walked.

The summer was nice, calming. He could be himself without fear of being rejected or misunderstood. He didn't find that with many people.

3 and a half months earlier

"Hey," Betty sighed as she stepped up to Jughead's side.

He offered a thin lipped smile and she clasped her hands in front of herself, sighing again in an attempt to get him to ask an unspoken question.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked finally, looking over at her. "I can feel your brain threatening to implode."

She rolled her eyes and he smirked. "I am not thinking about anything," she lied with a smile and he narrowed his eyes.

"Archie?"

"Shut up," she mumbled, watching the ground.

"What spell has he put on you now?" he chuckled, tucking his hands in his pockets.

She exhaled deeply, shrugging. "So you know how Cheryl's having that end-of-year-party tonight that everyone's invited to no matter how much she hates you?"

"Yes."

"Okay," she breathed, twisting her fingers. "Do you think Archie would go? I mean, does he care about parties enough to go?"

It was Jughead's turn to shrug. "What do you think?"

"Jughead," she whined, frowning.

"Uh, he's Archie," he murmured, wincing. "He's on the football team, he's a social God in any high school. So, yeah, probably."

"So what should I wear?" she asked and he scoffed. "This is important!"

"You're not going to talk to him."

"I am!" she huffed, waving a finger in his face. "You can bet on it."

"Fifty bucks?"

"Not literally," she laughed, and he chuckled. "But seriously, what should I wear?"

"Well," he started, draping his arm over her shoulders. "The Betty everyone knows and loves would wear a dress and you have many of those."

"Hair down?"

He studied her for a minute before nodding. "Hair down. We'll talk more after I raid your kitchen."

Polly walked into Betty's bedroom and closed it behind herself, sitting down on the bed beside Jughead.