Chapter 20

“That’s funny,” I laughed. “I think my fever’s coming back. I swear to God I just heard you say that Roman kissed you.” Animosity grew with each spoken word, and even more when he refused to look at me. “Zack Wells, I swear to God-”

“I didn’t kiss her back! Treble, I wouldn’t be stupid enough to kiss her back!”

I set my jaw, biting my tongue. My eyes fell on my hands, clenched into small fists on the table. My ring shimmered on my left hand, and I stared at it with contemplation. I wanted to give it back. I wanted him to be with her. I didn’t want the Goddamn competition, because I always lost. Every damned time.

“Treble, I love you,” his eyes devoured me as I stared at my hands.

I rubbed my hands down my face tiredly, eventually running them through my hair and clenching fistfuls to keep myself from breaking something.

“If you don’t believe me, ask Taylor. Yes, we both equally hate each other’s guts, but he wouldn’t lie to you. Not about this,” Zack mirrored my stance. I looked at the demon through my eyelashes, and his black eyes settled on me. “I didn’t kiss back, and I blew up. I haven’t spoken to her since.”

“When?” He frowned. “When did she kiss you?”

“Before I left for Rome to get your medication,” he said softly. “The Elders being everywhere gave me time to calm down from the anger, but then I freaked about how you’d react.”

“I’m not mad at you,” I shrugged. “I’m stopping this relationship where it is, but I’m not mad at you.”

“Wait, what?!”

“I’ve been battling for you since she laid eyes on you, and I’m not one for conflict nor do I like competition. She can have you,” I shrugged again. “Thanks,” I set my ring in front of him before standing up.

“Um, no,” he laughed, grabbing my ring and gripping my arm tightly. “No, you don’t get to leave me.”

My breath hitched and I was terrified of what he’d do to me. “I thought I was autonomous?”

“How many times have you kept me from walking away from you?”

“That was over stupid shit, Zack,” I laughed. “I’m not dealing with her constantly staring at you and drooling over you and twirling her hair as she flirts with you and touches your wings and…I’m not doing it.”

“Listen to me,” he held my jaw, forcing my eyes to his. “She can do all of that as much as she wants. I’m not paying attention to her. I just can’t. Not with you standing in front of me.”

“But you do,” I said softly. “She’s all you talked to in training when you shoved me aside.” I should’ve picked a better choice of words, but I was pissed. Course, that would only piss Zack off. Then he’d hurt me again.

“I’m scared I’ll kill you! I’m sorry for giving you space, Treble, but I don’t exactly want you to die!”

“If you don’t want me to die, then go be with Roman! Simple solution, Einstein! You could easily love her, and you know it,” I rolled my eyes. Zack blinked at me, tears welling in his blue eyes. “I mean, how many times have we played this game? And how many more will we when we both live?”

“I’m sorry,” his tears fell slowly and he shook his head quickly. “I’m sorry I hurt you so much, but I can’t be sorry for loving you. I can’t be sorry that you don’t see how much I love you. I can’t make you see that.”

“Well, you can’t see what isn’t real,” I muttered.

“So this is your defense mechanism,” Zack sniffled. “Pissing me off so I’ll hate you. You think I can un-love you. And you’re beyond wrong, but that’s beside the point.”