Chapter 28

Vampires lived in a form of eternal night since their leader would die in sunlight. It was kind of depressing, and I was happy to get out ASAP. All of T-squad–excluding Sammy, Roman, Creed, and obviously Taylor, and including Genesis–boarded a plane to California.

When we landed, Zack insisted on taking me to meet his father and reintroduce me to his mother. I think he really just needed to tell them about Taylor.

Zack gave Gen the combination to get in and shut the alarm off, and we took an hour-long motorcycle ride through the back roads of California. Zack was great at stealing cars, apparently, and he said that on the bike he could cut down a three-and-a-half hour long drive into merely an hour, at most depending on traffic. And he did. And I was terrified.

My legs shook when we pulled up his long driveway. “I’m taking a bus back.”

“Oh, shut up,” he laughed. “You’re invincible. If anything, I should’ve been the one worrying because I can still kinda die!”

“You only die by blade,” I pointed out as we climbed the front steps and entered the astounding home.

Zack’s mother squealed as she embraced her son, crying already. “Zack, honey, where’s…?” she stopped, looking at the floor.

“I’m sorry, Momma,” Zack cried, hugging his mother tightly. That was the first time I’d seen Zack cry over Taylor’s death. “I’m so sorry.”

His mother took deep breaths. She had been through the death of her children three times. The fourth wouldn’t be any easier. “Thank God you’re okay.”

“Where’s Dad? I, uh, want him to meet my fiancée,” he smiled through tears.

Fiancée?!” his mother squealed again. “You’re getting married?!”

“To the Savior, Momma,” he grinned, jabbing a thumb at me. “That beautiful work of art right there.”

Zack’s mother embraced me in a tight hug, and I showed her the ring as Zack went off to find his father. “Zack is very lucky to be engaged to you.”

I shook my head, “I’m definitely the lucky one. Your son is the best thing that ever happened to me. I don’t know where I’d be without him.”

Zack’s father was a tall man with solid black eyes and short black hair. He looked like Zack, and his wings had long feathers stretching down below the skin. His father stuck out a hand, and I shook it nervously. “He didn’t tell me a thing. Just said I had to meet you.”

I blushed, looking at Zack as he grinned. “It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Wells,” I said before frowning and looking at Zack again. He rubbed his forehead, sighing heavily.

“You kill me, T,” he chuckled, shaking his head. “Dad, this is Treble. I’m going to make her my wife.”

His father’s eyes widened, “You’re what?!”

“We’re engaged,” he stood next to me. “And she’s the Savior.”

“It’s an honor,” he bowed his head. I blushed again, looking at Zack. He still hadn’t told me who his father was. And why he’d never live up to his reputation. “And congratulations on the war…Speaking of which, where’s Tay?”

“Shit,” Zack huffed. “He’s, uh…you know…”

Zack’s father rubbed his face, “Dammit.”

“I’m sorry, Dad.”

“Don’t be sorry, Zack. This war isn’t your fault. I’ll see what I can do to get him out.”