☼ Sturdy Sandcastle and the Crow ☼

Shouyou ruminated that ditching school is indeed healthy.

After three more of his todays repeating and coaxing Kei to tell him about his time loop, he grew tired of the ever-repeating lessons and volleyball routines, the same conversation about their spring booth, the same repulsive spider black of the male military-style uniforms, the same caramel brown of the desks, the same juniper green of the board.

He had informed Coach Keishin and his moderator through text that he won't be able to attend classes or practices beforehand, stating that he had caught a cold. After receiving 'get well soon' from his teammates and classmates, Shouyou trudge back to his house and takes a good, warm bath to start off his day. After helping himself with an American egg and bacon, he sets off.

It was a different feeling for Shouyou to be far away from the bare house and tumultuous school. He could see that it was the same celeste blue of the morning sky, the same bumblebee yellow of the ever-blazing sun, the same lace white of the dimming stars; and yet it was an ultimately different sensation compared to the thirteen todays he spend at home and school, praying for a different outcome.

He bought a dozen meat buns from a different store; far away from the Sakanoshita Market that is owned by Coach Keishin's family. It wasn't as good but Shouyou thinks that it's fine. He plops down on the swing of a nearby park, eating his meat buns as he watches the celeste blue of the sky slowly contorted to electric blue and then settle to maya blue.

As he swallows the last of his meat buns, he felt someone settled down on the swing beside him. Looking up, Shouyou almost chokes on his meat bun when his bronze orange orbs met with the carob brown orbs from the infamous setter, Oikawa Tooru. However, it wasn't the setter who was sitting down beside him when he's supposed to be in his own school that made him speechless, no; it was the setter's dejected gaze that stared back at him.

Tooru eyes the shrimp beside him and gave him a toothy smile that Shouyou could tell was forced. Without much thought, the middle blocker uttered unvaryingly, "Isn't it exhausting hiding under your mask all the time?" Tooru's smile faltered as he takes in the short middle blocker again, eyes widen in surprise when he finds no glimmer in the redhead's eyes. The toothy smile completely wiped off from his face, Tooru lets out an exhausting sigh and gave the shrimp a pained yet sincere smile; a smile that he had never showed anyone besides Hajime.

Nodding, Shouyou turned and eyes the maya blue sky loathingly. Tooru sees this and turns to watch the sky, not finding anything worth hating but chose not to question it as he reached out and gave the small lad a reassuring pat on the back before standing up. He turns around to face the middle blocker who was looking at him because of the sudden movement. "Want to waste this wonderful day with me?" Tooru asked as he held out his hand to the poor lad.

Shouyou clasps the waiting hand and stands.

The two went around town; window shopping and eating whatever food they could get their hands on. They infiltrated the Shiratorizawa campus and threw eggs in their volleyball court and ran away without anyone spotting them. Seeing as the infiltration endeavor was successful, they tried shoplifting on a nearby shopping mall but were caught. Their families were long gone so Tooru rang Hajime to bail them out. To say that the Aoba Johsai ace was surprised to find his best friend in jail with Karasuno's # 10 was an understatement. He just stood there for God knows how long, taking in the two teens behind bars who smiled at him sheepishly. He could have stayed there and watched them, but the police had called on him to sigh some papers.

After releasing the two-volleyball enthusiast, Hajime gave his setter a whack on his head, angrily yelling at him to not corrupt the first year. Shouyou watched Tooru plead for his life with amusement and didn't defend the poor setter. By the time the three exited the police station, the ever-fiery bumblebee yellow of the sun had sunk and the maya blue of the afternoon sky had contorted to azure blue of the night sky.

Tooru invited Shouyou to drink with him and the middle blocker readily agreed much to the ace's dismay. The two third years and one first year bought two dozen of beer on a nearby convenient store and trekked to Tooru's house which happened to be nearby.

As they settled down in the living room, Hajime could only marvel at how his best friend confided to the shrimp as if they knew each other for a long time. He refused to drink, stating that someone had to be sober to take care of the two idiots. In his abstinent state, Hajime had learned that the seemingly cheerful middle blocker was depressed and suicidal which he thinks is exactly why Tooru had readily divulge to him. Tooru had somewhat sobered up when Shouyou mentioned that he is stuck in a time loop and is cursed to see the colors that he had once desperately wished for but now detests. Tooru and Hajime made eye contact, knowing full well that an intoxicated person spills more truths than a sane person. Even if his mind tells him not to, Hajime decided to indulge himself with the alcohol that they had bought.

That night, many secrets were shared. Intoxicated, Tooru had spoken of his parent's divorce and refused to take custody of him but only left him the house. Hajime had spoken of his brother's disappearance after the two had left home to play on a nearby park. Shouyou spoke of his mother and sister's death after the three were hit with a truck and Shouyou being the only survivor. He spoke of the wretched hues of blue and brown and yellow he sees every single day.

That day, the dejected setter and self-reproach ace embraced the ruptured soul.

<<<->>>

Shouyou opens his eyes and for the first time in years, he feels relief.