Chapter 9

After a few moments a buzz sounded, an audible click in the door and my mother was pushing me through the door. We were met on the other side by two male P.I.P officers. They were both handsome, tall, brunette, and mean looking. One held a holographic plate up to our faces, it was similar to the ones Dr. Emerson uses for facial recognition. A few beeps and our faces popped up on the screen, visible to us with our names sprawled in the air. The one holding the nodded for us to follow him, stopping in front of a wall with an X on the floor in front of it.

"Stand here with your legs spread apart and your arms out wide," the other officer instructed, pointing to the taped X on the floor. My mother went first and did what she was told. The officer with the holographic plate placed a large spherical like object on the floor and stepped back. The sphere lit up with life and floated around my mother, scanning her with bright blue beams for a few seconds before floating back down into a dreamless sleep.

"Your turn kid," the officer with the name tag POPLAR said. I took a deep breath and did just as my mother had done, waiting for the sphere to come back to life. It whirred and spun its blue beam over me before flashing an alarming red hue. The officers immediately pushed me against the wall and patted my pockets, Poplar being the one to pull out my brand new Platinum card. He twirled it in his fingers for a second, placing it in the other officer's hands. REDMAN flashed on his tags and I watched him put that precious card into a slot on a podium.

"You get it back when you leave," he said with a gruff snort. The longer I was around those two the less handsome they got.

Poplar entered a few numbers on a keypad on the wall and steel doors opened near us, revealing a long hallway with many doors and a few bustling people going in and out of some of them. He motioned for us to go through, seemingly impatient with us.

"Thank you," my mother said flirtatiously to him. He stared at her for a few seconds before smirking back a bit and I held back a gag. When he started leading the way I fell behind a bit to talk to her.

"Really?" I whispered.

"What?"

"Flirting with P.I.P officers? Dangerous games you like playing."

"Oh stop. I was being polite."

Poplar stopped in front of a door and knocked twice before entering, holding the door opened wide for us to follow through. It was a small room, with barren walls and a stagnant smell. Instantly I caught Michelle's eyes, puffy and red and filled with worry. Sara was seated on the other side of her, her arms crossed over her chest and her face void of any expression.

"Salice, you came," Michelle managed through a hiccup. I turned around, waiting for Poplar to close the door behind us but he didn't. Instead he was busy sending shy smirks at my mother and whispering in her ear. My mother's eyes locked with mine and I knew. She looped her arms through his and was gone with him. A job was a job when it presented itself. In this case a hand job or a blow job.

"Have you seen Sam yet?" I asked her, sitting next to her on the hard metal bench. She did not look at me, but stared at her feet on the floor.

"I don't know where they would get the idea that he would have birth control pills," Sarah said out loud. I glanced at her for a moment, her eyes hard and telling me what her mouth would not.

Play along.

Feeling flushed for the fact that I am not that great of an actress I coughed a couple of times. "Where would they even think that he could get something like that?" I asked with a slightly high pitched tone. By Sarah's face I knew I was overdoing it. I tried to apologize with my eyes but she rolled hers and I fell back into uncomfortable silence.